not a gs but two stroke ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a gs but two stroke ?

Here is my problem. My daughter's Dinli 50 starts fine and runs like nutts wide open but when you come to a stop the motor stalls and is hard to start. If you plug the intake with your thumb the motor picks right up and off you go. So I am assuming that there is a carb problem and if I can fix this myself I will. The plug is clean. I adjusted the mixture setting and that did nothing. I took the air filter off and it still ran like that. Fires up and takes off, I can rip around the yard all day long with it but as soon as I stop, it "chokes out". As it is choking out if you thumb the air intake it will come back to life. This is a little 50cc engine with a cvt tranny. I posted this on a few atv websites but no response.

It sounds like it's too lean, and not actually "choking out". It needs fuel to run at an idle, so why not clean out the idle circuit passages?(just a suggestion).

Comment

x2 on the running lean, might wanna clean tjhe carbs out and then mess with the mixture, might have to change jets or one might be a lil blocked

Comment

If you haven't modified the engine/exhaust at all then you shouldn't need to change a jet. I bet it's just dirty. Take it apart and clean everything really well, then reassemble and try it out. Replace any seals or gaskeets that need it. Maybe there is an air leak between the carb and the engine. Is there a rubber boot that connects the two? If it's cracked it will cause a lean condition at idle. If it once ran well then it must be able to do so again.

Comment

thanks guys I will look at the carb a little closer.

Comment

Originally posted by rombi View Post
            Here is my problem. My daughter's Dinli 50 starts fine and runs like nutts wide open but when you come to a stop the motor stalls and is hard to start. If you plug the intake with your thumb the motor picks right up and off you go. So I am assuming that there is a carb problem and if I can fix this myself I will. The plug is clean. I adjusted the mixture setting and that did nothing. I took the air filter off and it still ran like that. Fires up and takes off, I can rip around the yard all day long with it but as soon as I stop, it "chokes out". As it is choking out if you thumb the air intake it will come back to life. This is a little 50cc engine with a cvt tranny. I posted this on a few atv websites but no response.
            I'm going to vote "against the grain" here but,from what you've stated, it sounds to me like it's running rich or there is a problem with the fuel / il ratio. Time to clean the carb...and replace the air filter. Maybe a new plug...
            Last edited by Dave8338; 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM.

Comment

She wants to drive it but it is too frustrating to get it going.

Comment

Put a new correctly gapped plug in it and pull the air filter out and run it around the yard a little. If it is lean once things are hot...it will make the problem worse. If rich, it will run better...time to ride!

Comment

is the fuel\oil ratio correct?
                  too much oil will make for a Lean condition
                  despite the logic of some more lube is not better the proper ration is what yah need for smooth running

Comment

Originally posted by rombi View Post
                    ... If you plug the intake with your thumb the motor picks right up and off you go. ... As it is choking out if you thumb the air intake it will come back to life.
                    Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    I'm going to vote "against the grain" here but,from what you've stated, it sounds to me like it's running rich or there is a problem with the fuel / il ratio. Time to clean the carb...and replace the air filter. Maybe a new plug...
                    Sorry, Dave, I'm going to have to veto your vote and say that it's running lean on the idle circuit.
                    'Thumbing' the intake is the same as choking it to get it to suck more fuel, same as the old butterfly-style chokes.

My money is on something that is stuck in the idle jet.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How old is this thing. Could it be sucking air at the crankcase seals.

Comment

I am a scooter mechanic...no laughing. It sounds like a clogged idle jet, it's common. Unless this is a vintage machine, that is going to be your issue.

Comment

it is only 3 years old. I will start with a new plug and see what that does/

Comment

The new ones are more prone to clog the jets from sitting over the winter and whatnot. Most of the time it is pretty easy to get at the carb, and real easy to clean.

Comment

My vote: clogged idle circuit...running lean.

I don't know if you pre-mix your fuel but keep in mind that adding too much oil to the mixture will also "lean out" the final mix.

Does the machine require pre-mix or does it have a seperate oil tank & pump?

Comment

Working...
                              X