coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil question

I just found out that both my ignition coils are bad on my 81 gs450. Do any other models work on them, i would really like to buy from a salvage yard and not spend allot

Re: coil question

I believe any 3 ohm coils would work, but the biggest problem may be in finding some with mounting holes that line up for your bike. What makes you think both your coils are bad?

Earl

Originally posted by jleach
    I just found out that both my ignition coils are bad on my 81 gs450. Do any other models work on them, i would really like to buy from a salvage yard and not spend allot
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

damn mechnanic

I finally broke down and took the bike in to the shop, they say the reason it has no spark is the coils and the spark plug caps.

Comment

Keep an eye on Ebay. Dyna single tower 3 ohm coils will work for you too.

Comment

you can get a nice set of accel 3 ohm coils + wires and mounting kit for 124 from MAW (motor assorie warehouse)

ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
            you can get a nice set of accel 3 ohm coils + wires and mounting kit for 124 from MAW (motor assorie warehouse)

ryan
            Which ones would be right for the gs450? It has two coils and two cylinders. I didn't see a package like that listed.

thanks...Sam

Comment

Re: damn mechnanic

I finally broke down and took the bike in to the shop, they say the reason it has no spark is the coils and the spark plug caps.
              I believe Earl is implying that BOTH coils being bad is a bit far fetched. Ill go with Earl on this one. Test the coils yourself please. Ill guess that its a wiring problem or just the caps.

Comment

I haven't been able to tell, it already has a new cdi on the bike that we got a few weeks ago, that didn't do anything and we were out of ideas, so we took it to the mechanic, how do i go about replacing just the spark plug caps.

Comment

Go to your local cycle supply and get NGK plug caps $3.00@ Original suzuki are expensive. Just unscrew the old cap, cut 1/4 in off of the plug wire and screw the new caps on

Comment

Re: damn mechnanic

Yep, Scotty, its just too farfetched for me to believe both coils went bad at exactly the same time. NAH.........somone didnt actually check a coil, and offered a guess as a fact to an unsuspecting customer.

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
                    I believe Earl is implying that BOTH coils being bad is a bit far fetched. Ill go with Earl on this one. Test the coils yourself please. Ill guess that its a wiring problem or just the caps.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

alright, well ive been calling to salvage yards and they all say the same thing, both coils bad probably isn't your problem. But i am stumped, i have had a couple of people look at it and can't find a anything, so i took it to a mechanic and he told me both coils are bad. Any ideas, where do i start, replace the spark plug caps and go from there?

Comment

The first thing to do is check your own coils and see for yourself if they are good or bad. Take a multimeter and check the resistance on the primary and secondary windings. To check the primary on your coils, set your multimeter to the 200 scale on the ohm side. Put the test leads on the + and - terminals of the coils (the orange/white-white and for the other coil orange/white-black/yellow probably) The resistance should be between 2 and 5 ohms.

Next switch the meter to the 200K scale on the ohm side. Put the test probes in the two spark plug caps touching the clip that normally snaps onto the sparkplug. (its inside the plug cap---do not remove the plug caps from the wires) The resistance should be between 30 and 40 .

If your readings are outside these values, then I agree your coils need replacing.

Earl
                        alright, well ive been calling to salvage yards and they all say the same thing, both coils bad probably isn't your problem. But i am stumped, i have had a couple of people look at it and can't find a anything, so i took it to a mechanic and he told me both coils are bad. Any ideas, where do i start, replace the spark plug caps and go from there?

Comment

well ive checked the coils again and they are both bad, so i am going to replace them, the only question I have is, whether something could have burned them both out, id hate to buy new and find out something is burning them up

Comment

well ive checked the coils again and they are both bad, so i am going to replace them, the only question I have is, whether something could have burned them both out, id hate to buy new and find out something is burning them up
                            Would you please tell us what readings you obtained when checking both coils. I am burning with curiosity on this coil burn out thing.

Comment

I took the coils into the local dealership, because i was talking to them and he couldn't believe both coils went bad either. So i took them and he was really suprised too, he said he has never seen both coils gone bad like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X