Looking for advise, Valve Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advise, Valve Adjustment

Ok, I have put off anything related to the engine till winter... or wanted to.

This spring I got my new to me 83 650GL, I did a lot getting it going related to old wiring, replaced rr, carb cleaning and balancing, and well everything short of getting into the engine.

The bike had 18K miles on it and I have gotten it over 20k miles so far.

I would say the last few weeks I have been hearing a very slight background noise to the engine running and mostly on the highway at higher speeds. Kind of like the sound of a ticking clock very fast, but like I said its more a background noise and not a strong knock (had that in an old van).

Anyways all my searching leads me to think I just have to learn how and dig into checking my valve clearances and more than likely adjust a few.

The real question is with the Moosehead trip being this Friday (I cant go earlier like most) should I just get the stuff at the dealer and do it before the trip, or would it not hurt the engine to much to wait till the season is over?

If it's possible, do it now. I'm not sure if your bike has bucket and shims or the screw type adjusters. If it's bucket and shims, you're going to have to make sure you have access to the right size shims and a top cover gasket. If it's screw type adjusters, you'll just need a gasket.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yea... the local dealer said they should have some shims available so the real issue is the gasket and unless I pay an extra $20 for faster shipping and decide today its not gonna happen.

Comment

Hi Mr. Skateguy50,

The valve clearances should be checked/adjusted every 4000 miles (according to the factory manual). Some riders do it a little less often if they run the clearances on the loose end of the spec (we're talking about the 8 valve motors - 2 valves per cylinder).

Be sure that your dealers has the 29.5mm diameter shims for your bike. There are a couple of multi-manufacturer dealers around here who don't know the difference between a 29mm diameter shim and a 29.5mm diameter shim.

A lot of what you'll need to know about valve checks is on my little BikeCliff website. Keep us informed. Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes, the valves should be done, especially if you don't know the maintenance history of the bike.
          However, the valves tend to tighten up with use, not loosen up, so the noise you hear is not likely the valves. If your valves are too tight, to the point of being past due for adjustment, your bike will be hard to start when it's cold. If it is starting well, go ahead and ride to the rally.

Your bike uses shims, and the process is not too hard, if you have a service manual and the pictorials that are available on BassCliff's site. I would also put in a shameless plug here for my spreadsheet. Send me an e-mail (not a PM) with a request and I will send you a copy. The spreadsheet will help you figure out your shim sizes and keep track of them from one service interval to the next.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            Ok, I have put off anything related to the engine till winter... or wanted to.

The real question is with the Moosehead trip being this Friday (I cant go earlier like most) should I just get the stuff at the dealer and do it before the trip, or would it not hurt the engine to much to wait till the season is over?
            Personally I would enjoy riding the rest of the short summer and adjust the valves in the winter. But I'm a risk taker!

Comment

Thanks for all the advise, I already downloaded, read, and printed the guides on your site. Very helpful and it has gotten me past the fear of doing it myself, knowledge is power.

I will however be picking up an oil filter and changing that before the trip, also once up in Maine some trained ears can probably tell me what I am hearing better than trying to explain it.

Comment

Working...
              X