noise in 5th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise in 5th gear

This noise has developed slowly during the past several years. Sounds like a chatter when in 5th only. I can shift down to 4th and back to 5th and sometimes make it quieter. The noise changes frequency with the rpms and is most pronounced between 3500 - 4500. If the clutch is pulled in the sound disappears. Bike does not shift hard or slip but the clutch (not stock) has not been replaced in a long time. Any thoughts? Thanks
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Re: noise in 5th gear

Since it is the easiest thing to check, I would take a look at the clutch.
    Could be nothing more than sloppy clutch springs.

Earl

Originally posted by pano
    This noise has developed slowly during the past several years. Sounds like a chatter when in 5th only. I can shift down to 4th and back to 5th and sometimes make it quieter. The noise changes frequency with the rpms and is most pronounced between 3500 - 4500. If the clutch is pulled in the sound disappears. Bike does not shift hard or slip but the clutch (not stock) has not been replaced in a long time. Any thoughts? Thanks
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

noise in 5th gear

Thanks Earl. It's on my to do list.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Same Problem

My bike makes the same noise, and only in 5th gear. I can feel a clicking through the handle bars. The noise is most noticalbe at around 3500 rpm. I would really like to know the cause.

Comment

I am working on my clutch now. I will post the fix when the noise is gone. I can only hear mine though.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

It appears the noise was the clutch springs as Earl had suggested. I replaced them and after a short ride during a break in the rain, the noise appears to be gone. I also switched to 20w50 as well.

Thanks Earl
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
            X