Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain tension

Hi all
    I recently got a flat back wheel. When I replaced the wheel I suddenly realized that I don't know how tight the chain should be.

Any tips regarding chain tension?
    Thanks

The important thing is that is never gets pulled completely tight, as the suspension moves.
    Probably a couple inches of slack, if you lift it with your toe halfway between sprockets.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That sounds pretty simple! Thankyou!

Comment

chain tension

Excessive chain & sprocket wear will occur with improper chain tension. Chain adjustment may sound simple, but don't let that fool you. In your owner's manual are the instructions for tensioning your chain. My manual says my bike must be on the center stand. Here's a caution: all chains have a natural "high" and "low" spot. The way to find it is get the bike on the center stand and rotate the rear wheel until the chain is at it's tightest. that is the natural "high" spot. the chain should be set for tension at this spot. Your manual should tell you how much movement the chain should have when correctly set. Probably about 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch. Experience at this is really helpful. But rocket science it ain't. Good luck.
        1981 GS750L (sold)
        1981 GS750L (current)
        1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
        1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
        1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
        1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
        1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
        1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
        1980 GS1100L (Janice)
        Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
        e tan, e epi tan

Comment

If one could not find the absolutely perfect tension on a chain, would it be better to be on the tight side ? or the loose side ?

Comment

Originally posted by journerr View Post
            If one could not find the absolutely perfect tension on a chain, would it be better to be on the tight side ? or the loose side ?
            Loose....

And BTW Tazman....we don't all have a center stand...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

And dont forget how inaccurate the chain adjuster marks are. I checked mine with two 6" x 8' straight edges laying right against the rear tire extending forward to the front tire. Although the chain adjuster marks on mine were pretty close to get good alignment I noticed the front tire was about 3/16" off center. ???? This confused me cause the front two brake discs are right down the middle of the calipers.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

IIRC, chain slack per the manual is around 25mm.

Comment

On the GS700, the adjustment spec is between 1.2 to 1.7 inches with the bike on the center stand. I usually adjust to 1.25" and am good to go for a couple months anyway.
                  Tazman is dead on in suggesting you tension the tightest part of the chain. I know that on a few occassions I was just a "smidgeon" tighter than 1.2" and I could feel the chain grab and release on the tight spot as I rode.
                  The adjustment marks on the swingarm really are not dependable as bonanzadave mentioned. I've found that if the chain is always pushing to one side of the rear spocket as the tire is spun, that means the tire is canted in that direction and that side needs to be tightened (or the other side loosened) to square it up.

And always double check the tension and alignment again AFTER you have tightened up the adjusters and axle nuts - it can make a difference as things are torqued down.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Loose....

And BTW Tazman....we don't all have a center stand...
                    Just needs to be some kind of fabricated stand that holds the bike up by the frame, not by the swingarm. I make mine out of 1" round steel tube if I need one, and then promptly lose it and have to make another next time

You knew all that, dincha

Comment

It doesn't need to be on the centerstand, sidestand is fine
                      measure from swing arm piviots to square the rear axle
                      Last edited by derwood; 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM.
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                        It doesn't need to be on the centerstand, sidestand is fine
                        measure from swing arm piviots to square the rear axle
                        Agree - I just find it easier if the bike is upright.

Comment

I question the validity to the claim that all chains have a tight spot....And here's why:

Even though I've experienced this tight spot my whole life, it may be partially due to the rear sprocket being not exactly concentric, and also not concentric with the rear wheel. And who knows if the output shaft is perfectly straight where the front sprocket mounts up. One tiny bit of misalignment will translate into a much more apparent, and easier to blame and diagnose, "tight" spot on a chain.

Just a thought....

The following links are to Sheldon Brown's Bicycle pages, and while they are about bicycles, there is lots of good, applicable material here.

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html Read the section titled "Chain Tension With Straight Chain" to see what I mean about concentricity.

Again, just my .02

Comment

Working...
                          X