Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radial tire questions!! Sizes being eliminated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you putting an aftermarket swingarm on too? A 170/180 is pretty
    wide, hit Skip[ up for info on wide tires. I think he's pulling close to 180hp
    and only uses a 150 rear if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I am going to have to go to a 3/8 inch offset sprocket and the wheel is being widened to 5 inches. I`ve decided to stay with the 170...thats about going to be it in the swingarm. It close but it will make it. The main thing stopping you on a stock 1150 is chain line and wheel size. I don`t think I`m even going to have to modify the torque arm on the brake...I may have to machine a little off the back but I`ll wait on that. Even though its only a 3/8 offset I`m going with a bearing support and I`m going to need to convert to 530 chain.

Comment

Radials being eliminated

Chris,

Regarding warehouse check on the discontinued MEZ2's, did you pick a specific tire size or MEZ2's in all the sizes they were offered in?
        Carter Turk
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
          The reason for the wide rear wheel is I intend to put together a good engine. I hope to get around 140-150 hp out of it.Like to know if there was a wheel change for sure.
          *** I`m 100% sure, there were a wheel change in 1985. Going through a factory service manual I realized they used very diffrent wheel sizes in different markets, for egzample model E 24 of GSX 1100 EFG / ESG ( somewhere in Europe I belive )
          used front 16`( 120 / 80 ) and rear 18` ( 130 / 80 V 18 ).
          And 130 rear tire went from 130 / 80 to 130 / 90.
          I have some question considering your engine - what exactly are you planning to do to get 140 / 150 HP?
          I believe a stock unit gives around 100 HP on the rear wheel.

Adam M.

Comment

Carter I specifically looked for the 16 inch front. ALL metzlers come from parts unlimited...they are the sole US importer. ANYONE that gets metzlers MUST get them from parts unlimited. PU is out of the MEZ2`s in most sizes. I found a distributor that has a couple still laying around. No other tire company does this and thats why you see some companies not deal with metzlers...they also say metzler is hard to deal with. Still like thier tires though. On the question of engine work...going to a 1229, big head with oversize valves on both sides,probabyl a 360 lift camshaft,38 or 40 carbs,pipe,ignition. May not make 140 but I hope to. Lot of it will depend how much compression I put in it. Probably will have a set of custon J&E`s made. Around 12 to 1. Its amazing what new head designs have done. On a hayabusa you can get by with 220pounds of cranking compression and run pump gas....A GS will be lucky to get by with 190 on pump gas...more like 180. I have to do a little figuring on the compression I need. Really I`m working on the chassis stuff now and engine along. I`m trying to purchase a spare engine to do the mods on....just don`t want to mess up the original engine.

Comment

Working...
            X