No announcement yet.

clutch adjustment on 1980 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps this is the source of my slight clutch clatter. Just changed the springs and plates about a month ago. The hub nut was loose. Tightened it up and it was fine for a bit. Sounds like it's starting to clatter a bit at idle again.

Hmmm....easy fix if this is the problem.

Comment

well i tore the clutch apart tonight. the basket is really chewed up. each friction ring wore a grove in the basket hence the reason it would never release. so the basket has to come off. one dirrection does that 32mm nut have to be spun to get it off. does it loosen to the left like standard thread or is it the other way?

Comment

I have a pretty good clutch hub. The springs on the rear have some movement but I would call it in "good" condition.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clutch sleeve hub nut: 24mm diameter, 36.0 - 50.5 lb-ft torque

Clutch spring bolt: 6mm diam, 8.0 - 9.5 lb-ft torque

Clutch release arm bolt: 6mm diam, 4.5 - 7.0 lb-ft torque

I don't have time this week but hopefully next week I'll scan in the entire torque table for you.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by JUSS10 View Post
            well i tore the clutch apart tonight. the basket is really chewed up. each friction ring wore a grove in the basket hence the reason it would never release. so the basket has to come off. one dirrection does that 32mm nut have to be spun to get it off. does it loosen to the left like standard thread or is it the other way?
            Yep, mine too. I was able to file out most of the grooves but its not %100. Its working but a little grabby when cold. Yes on the Nut. Counter clock - loose. Clock - tight

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              SUZUKI HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH HUB NUT

CLUTCH HUB NUT
              The factory Suzuki hub nuts are soft, allowing the threads to deform and come loose. This allows the hub assembly to wobble. The APE nuts are CNC machined from heat treated chrome moly steel. End of problem.

SHN1150 Suzuki GS1100 / GS1150 $29.95

Thanks man. Looks like my next purchase.

Comment

Working...
              X