protecting aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protecting aluminum

Hello, I am rebuilding the carbs on my gs650g. I figure while I am at it I am cleaning the bowls and tops to shine them up. Has anyone tried spraying them with Lacquer to protect them or does someone have a better idea. I know the 2 outside ones had some type of clear coat on them from the factory.

Originally posted by dstamour View Post
    Hello, I am rebuilding the carbs on my gs650g. I figure while I am at it I am cleaning the bowls and tops to shine them up. Has anyone tried spraying them with Lacquer to protect them or does someone have a better idea. I know the 2 outside ones had some type of clear coat on them from the factory.
    Correct, the factory clearcoated them originally. But that stuff will yellow over time, due to UV and heat exposure. Suggested method is simply to polish, and then maintain once in a while with mothers alu polish or whatever. I have had good success doing this every time i wash a bike. Then use an auto wax on them...

Comment

I'm not a big fan of clear coatings myself.They look good until they look bad,then they look REAL bad.Polish,then a little love now and then works for me.Cheers,Simon.
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        I have had good success doing this every time i wash a bike. ...
        Don't let TheKid kid you there.

He has even better success parking his bike in my driveway. Seems that easily-removed pieces just seem to migrate toward the buffing wheel.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Don't let TheKid kid you there.

He has even better success parking his bike in my driveway. Seems that easily-removed pieces just seem to migrate toward the buffing wheel.

Very very true, but as far as KEEPING them that shiney, the mothers and auto wax has worked quite well..

Comment

Working...
          X