Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Battery access and maintenance

Hey Guys,
    I have an 81 GS450. The battery resides in a rather tight spot, completely underneath the airbox. It slides out the side, but it is a PITA. Has anyone run custom leads to the battery or found a good mounting point that allows for easier access without disconnecting? Can i charge the battery using the lead that runs from the battery positive terminal to the starter?

You want to run the R/R straight to the solenoid? I don't see why not.
    I have an extra good R/R for your model if you want a back up. I also have a front master cylinder. I can take a look but I have a box of goodies off an 84 450L.
    I worked on the same bike and I thought the battery was a pita also. Take off the negative, slide out the battery and take off the +.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Chef, that sounds great! PM me more details on that R/R.

To clarify, there is a wire connecting my battery to my solenoid. Can I use this as my positive charger lead connection point, or will that cook something? The postive post on the battery is inaccessable without completely removing the battery.

Comment

Yes, you can charge your battery from that point. It won't hurt anything.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Man is removing the battery from my 450GA a real PITA. Actually removing it isn't so bad, but putting it back in is the difficult part and at least for me it's a 2 person job. The lip where the 2 halves of the air box connect catches on my battery about half way in and I have to have one person pry the air box up/battery cage down with a long screwdriver from the left side while the other person pushes the battery in from the right. I only need about 2 millimeters clearance and thought about grinding this lip down a little but was concerned about accidentally causing an air leak.

So I went to my local wally world and bought a small battery charger (around $20) that had several different connection types one of which connects permanetly to the battery terminals with a lead short enough to hide behind the right side cover but long enough it can be pulled out (without remving the side cover) and connected to the charger. It has saved me a lot of frustration and to me was well worth the $20.

Comment

Working...
          X