Explain to me crank bearings/cranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain to me crank bearings/cranks

From what I've read, my '81 GS750L has plain or shelled crank bearings. Plz stop me if I'm wrong. I'm not a engine guy by any stretch. I also understand that these bearings may or may not be as dependable as roller types. So....will someone explain what the crank is and how it relates to pistons,valves and such.
    I'm not wanting to argue the virtues or downsides of the different types. I also understand this is a vague kind of question. Just want to get a general understanding of what this component does.
    Thought it was a rather slow night in the forums, so I thought I'd liven thing up a bit!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
    From what I've read, my '81 GS750L has plain or shelled crank bearings. Plz stop me if I'm wrong. I'm not a engine guy by any stretch. I also understand that these bearings may or may not be as dependable as roller types. So....will someone explain what the crank is and how it relates to pistons,valves and such.
    I'm not wanting to argue the virtues or downsides of the different types. I also understand this is a vague kind of question. Just want to get a general understanding of what this component does.
    Thought it was a rather slow night in the forums, so I thought I'd liven thing up a bit!
    Your crank is what is driven by the explosion in the cylinder. The pistons are connected to it by connecting rods, and they are offset so that its always being driven by one combustion stroke. The resulting explosion in the cylinder bore is what drives the piston down, which turns the crank, which turns the tranny which turns the output shaft which turns the sprocket which drives the chain which drives the rear wheel. TO put it simplisticly...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Your crank is what is driven by the explosion in the cylinder. The pistons are connected to it by connecting rods, and they are offset so that its always being driven by one combustion stroke. The resulting explosion in the cylinder bore is what drives the piston down, which turns the crank, which turns the tranny which turns the output shaft which turns the sprocket which drives the chain which drives the rear wheel. TO put it simplisticly...
      Okay, understand that. So the crank bearings are in the connecting rods, opposite the pistons and attach around the crank?
      I'm really starting to like this stuff!!
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Okay, understand that. So the crank bearings are in the connecting rods, opposite the pistons and attach around the crank?
        I'm really starting to like this stuff!!
        No...those are the connecting rod bearings....the crank bearings support the crank in the engine case...
        To put it simply....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

and roller bearing ones are better than shells purely because they will last longer as there is less wear (shell bearing is essentially like a fancy bushing).

Downside is roller bearings are bigger & heavier & likely more expensive...

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The crank runs on bearings in the cases, and there are bearings between the rods and crank as well. Plane bearings don’t actually touch the crank except for when there is no oil pressure – the crank runs on a film of oil.

To put things into perspective, about 99% of all internal combustion engines use plane bearings since they are both robust and inexpensive. It’s the GS roller cranks that are the oddball.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              No...those are the connecting rod bearings....the crank bearings support the crank in the engine case...
              To put it simply....
              Great, I understand that! I'm guessing that there are 4 connecting rod bearings, 1 for each connecting rod/piston. How many crank bearings are there in my '81 GS750L? And there is only 1 crank vs. 2 cams, which I'm sure is a completely different animal...right?
              I know....alot of you guys are laughing, but it's learning to me.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Cams control the intake & exhaust Air/gas flow. Yes the GS has two but you can also get a SOHC engine which would have one but would have twice as many lobes on it as it's working the same number of valves. The 16v variant also has two cams working twice as many valves on each cam.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

[quote=salty_monk;882218]Cams control the intake & exhaust Air/gas flow. Yes the GS has two but you can also get a SOHC engine which would have one but would have twice as many lobes on it as it's working the same number of valves. The 16v variant also has two cams working twice as many valves on each cam.

Kinda lost me, but that's okay.
                  The reason for my inquiries is that my bike had just under 12,000 miles. I as thinking about the wear on these bearings already. I know that's not even beginning to touch the miles these engines can acheive. Just got me thinking, is all.
                  I search and read on this site much more than post questions. I've read alot of posts that beat up the 16v 750 for oil delivery and crank bearing problems. Although being different size displacement engines, don't other models have the same design?
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

[quote=Larry D;882228]
                    Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Cams control the intake & exhaust Air/gas flow. Yes the GS has two but you can also get a SOHC engine which would have one but would have twice as many lobes on it as it's working the same number of valves. The 16v variant also has two cams working twice as many valves on each cam.

Kinda lost me, but that's okay.
                    The reason for my inquiries is that my bike had just under 12,000 miles. I as thinking about the wear on these bearings already. I know that's not even beginning to touch the miles these engines can acheive. Just got me thinking, is all.
                    I search and read on this site much more than post questions. I've read alot of posts that beat up the 16v 750 for oil delivery and crank bearing problems. Although being different size displacement engines, don't other models have the same design?

All of the 8v GS motors (your 750 is a 16v variant as you know, but they made an 8v from 77-79) EXCEPT to my knowlege the 650, used roller bearing cranks. The 16v 550s and 750s used, to the best of my knowlege, plain bearing cranks. The 1100 16 valve AND the 1100 8v also used a roller bearing crank. I am not sure about the smaller than 550 GS motors, as ive never really done alot of reading about them.

Comment

most other internal combustion engines use plain bearing cranks including Diesel engines which have significantly higher loads than gas. there is no problem with plain bearing cranks.

The most comon issue with the 16V engines is oil starvation at the cam journals usualy due to neglect of oil level or service frequency.

Using plain bearing crancks greatly simplifies the production of the crank and can develope a stronger crank assembly. With plain bearings it allows the crank to be made of a single forging or casting.

In order to assemble a crank with roller bearing mains and rods the crank has to be made of many parts that are pressed together to form the crank shaft assembly, this is neccessary to allow the installation of the roller bearing. in order to keep the roller bearing cranks from twisting at the pressed together joints as modifications are made to generate more torque each individual pressed joint needs to be tack welded to increase tortional tigidity. this increases the cost and complexity of manufacturing and servicing the roller bearing cranks and has driven the industry to move to plain bearing cranks.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, everyone.You've answered my questions.
                        Larry D
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

here are some good pics of a welded roller bearing crank.

Comment

If you google "alphasports",you'll find exploded parts diagrams of the whole bike.They may make it easier to understand how it all goes together and how it works.It'll give you part numbers,availability and price.I ran off a complete set for my bike and refer to them often.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don
                              Yes Ed. But the roller bottom ends are using the two stroke technology and I have never seen one wear out no matter what the mileage. The 99% use shell bearings because of cheapness to manufacture and repair. The typical roller bottom end in the Suzuki 4 cylinders has 10 parts to it that have to be pressed together on assembly and then balanced and that does not include the conrods, bearings, shims and seals that also make up parts of the bottom end. The shell bearing crank is one piece. So it can be seen that for ease of manufacture (Read CHEAP) they have moved away from roller bearing (superior) bottom ends.

Anyone that has worked on a roller crank and seen the construction and how the oil is injected inside of each bearing and directly onto the rollers will have an appreciation of why these bottom ends do not wear. Also less friction as rollers have less surface area compared with shells. As someone said earler there is no direct contact and there is always a film of oil in there anyway. But the large drag area of the shell bearing even if covered in oil is excessive compared to the rollers in a roller bearing.

My views only, but then I was brought up on two strokes.

Hey Don,

I like the GS roller cranks and think it is one of unique features of the engines. I don't think it is a superior feature though from a technical standpoint.

Regarding friction, where are you getting your data that says a roller crank has less friction? It's been a long time since engineering school but I don't recall that being the case.

Don't mean to sound disagreeable. As I said, I like the roller crank. Once you become accustomed to the sound of a GS engine, you can actually hear the rollers on the crank.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X