Bit by bit overhaul-oil filter cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit by bit overhaul-oil filter cover

Since most of the stuff on my bike is original, I've taken the liberty of replacing small things that are prone to rust or wear. I bought new bolts, washers and cap nuts for the oil filter cover. I changed my oil last week and was able to replace most of those components, save for one of the bolts. That bolt was stuck in there good and a vise grips was not enough to remove it. I just ended up putting the cap nut and washer on the old bolt, which may be stripped/worn. Anyone know how to get the bolt out?

I have welded new bolts to broken bolts before to get them out. Other than that... drill + "ez-out".

Comment

The bolt is not really broken at all. It's intact but just stuck inside.

Comment

if the threads on the stud still hold enough, you can use two ordinary nuts to lock against each other and then use a spanner to remove the stud
        heating the area (or warming up the engine) should help too
        GS850GT

Comment

Not sure how a spanner would work, the bolt (stud?) is not loose or stripped on the end that goes in the engine block, so it would still need to be unscrewed.

Comment

Unless the threads on the stud are buggered, leave well enough alone. If the threads are damaged though, heat the stud with a propane torch and then try the vice grips.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
              Not sure how a spanner would work, the bolt (stud?) is not loose or stripped on the end that goes in the engine block, so it would still need to be unscrewed.
              "Spanner" is Brit/Aussie for "wrench".

The stud is stuck in the threads. Someone might have used thread sealant, or it might be simple corrosion. Galvanic corrosion is likely after 25 years of two different metals sitting together.

As long as you can still seal the oil filter cover, leaving it alone is probably your best bet.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I just get concerned with the old parts of my bike and that mixes with my tendency to replace old things with new things. It just seems like the old stud has lived out its lifespan, but then again, how would I know how long the parts on the bike can last?

Comment

If the nut tightens the filter cover down without leaking it has not outlived its use.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    If the nut tightens the filter cover down without leaking it has not outlived its use.
                    Very wise words there, Mr. chef1366. I think my uncle once told me that. He also said, "If you try something and it doesn't work... try something else."

He was a great man.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

How about this one... if it ain't broke don't fix it! With this sort of application where the stud is not under much stress unless the threads for the cover nuts are stripped or it's in danger of rusting through leave it alone!

By messing with it with Vice grips you've probably knackered the threads on a perfectly good stud... get out more

The spanner/wrench trick involves putting 2 nuts on the threads that you can see on the outside of the engine. If you put one on about half way then put the 2nd one on, hold the first with a wrench & tighten the 2nd one to it so they lock together. You can now put a wrench on the first one & try to "undo" the stud (assuming it's right hand thread in the block). Hope that helps.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        The spanner/wrench trick involves putting 2 nuts on the threads that you can see on the outside of the engine. If you put one on about half way then put the 2nd one on, hold the first with a wrench & tighten the 2nd one to it so they lock together. You can now put a wrench on the first one & try to "undo" the stud (assuming it's right hand thread in the block). Hope that helps.

Dan
                        It is right hand thread. I replaced one a while back.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          How about this one... if it ain't broke don't fix it! With this sort of application where the stud is not under much stress unless the threads for the cover nuts are stripped or it's in danger of rusting through leave it alone!

By messing with it with Vice grips you've probably knackered the threads on a perfectly good stud... get out more

Dan
                          Since two oil changes ago, that one stud seemed like the top half was stripped. The other two nuts tighten all the way and stop, but that one nut keeps twisting as if it were stripped. I thought nothing of it until I changed the oil last week and have been smelling a little bit of oil when I ride. The leak must be very miniscule since there's no oil on my garage floor.

Comment

Yep, if it doesn't stop then it's stripped, you might still have enough good thread for a "2 nut trick" though closer to the start of the thread. You may also find that the existing stud is ok if you put an extra washer or 2 under the nut so it's tightening on a different part of the thread.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I tried using the 2 nut trick on my head studs when I replaced 2 of them.

Didn't work when I tried to just give it a hard solid turn, the nuts just turned. They came right out if I gave it gave it a session of small turns, kind of like an impact. Try this with you're vicegrips or with the 2 nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X