carb pipework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb pipework

Hi this is my first time here, I'm putting a rather sad gs400 back on the road after 7 years in the garage. I found the GS website browsing for advice on stripping and cleaning carbs and must say the photo sequence was fantastically hepful. It has enabled me to get the bike running but I need one bit of advice. When running, petrol drips out of the plastic pipes which come from the bottom of the float bowls. When I raise the pipes so their tops are above the carbs it stops. Is this the correct positionfor them, perhaps tucked up by the airbox? All advice gratefully received.

Sounds like these tubes are the carb overflow tubes & should be toward the ground. I would recheck your float level setting & make sure the needle seat are clean. Fuel level is getting to high in the carbs & is coming out the overflow.

Comment

Regcam

Thanks for that, I'll take a closer look

Comment

they are the overflow and should be below the float bowls. If you raise them up they could overflow into your intake and fill your oil with gasoline .............a big no no (sombody correct me if I am wrong, I have never had it happen to me but it seems logical)

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
          they are the overflow and should be below the float bowls. If you raise them up they could overflow into your intake and fill your oil with gasoline .............a big no no (sombody correct me if I am wrong, I have never had it happen to me but it seems logical)
          Skip % 100 correct, this is bad very bad. I definitely recommend that the float level be checked.

Roman

Comment

Skip, Roman

Thanks guys, I'll be pulling it apart soon.

Comment

Working...
            X