cam chain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain ?

I have a 78 gs 550 it came with a cut chain, and i ordered a new one which is a continous link. anyone know of where i can get a master link or a chain splitter to take it apart and relink it? i relly dont want to have to take the whole motor apart to put this in. and how do you messuer what size links it is. i found one splitter that says its ranges from 25-250?

Cut a link out with a dremmel and get a master link.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

masterlink

ok where would i get a master link? the dealer says they dont have them?

Comment

The dealer doesn't have them because THEY DON'T COME THAT WAY! The only way to do it CORRECTLY is to split the cases & replace the chain the RIGHT way! Enough said, Ray.

Comment

u can get a rivet tool if it isn't a expensive bike but rapidray is right do a search on here fore rivet tool or cam chain and youll find the link and how to do it

Comment

C'mon Ray. It's a 550.
            But your right. I couldn't find crap on a cam chain with a masterlink.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

In San Diego, in 1980, I had one BAD A$$ 550 Suzuki & it did NOT have a split cam chain! I used to go hunting 750s with it because I had milled the head, ported it, did a good valve job, bored it 2 mil over, & had the carbs bored 2 mil. I also took 50 lbs off the bike & I only weighed 150 pounds then. That little bike ran 12.00s at Carlsbad! Tried & tried but couldn't get an 11.99 out of it. Made a fair sum with it street racing 750s till it got stolen! Do the cam chain correctly so you will save yourself a ton of grief & not have to worry about it separating. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X