Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Tire Selection

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find tires/tubes for my bike and could use a little assistance. From the Alpha Sports parts fiche, stock tires were:

3.25H19 Front
    4.25H17 Rear

I don’t know if these are conventional tire sizes or just abbreviated descriptions from the fiche, however. The tires on the bike when purchased were:

3.25/3.5-19 (100/90-19) front
    4.5/4.75-17 (120/90-17) rear

I can get replacement Bridgestone Battlax (http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3349) tires the same size as those currently on the bike (i.e., a 100/90-19 and a 120/90-17) through Bike Bandit with 1-2 days to shipment. These are listed as a tubeless bias ply tire- Is it okay to use them with tubes still? Does the width difference from stock matter? I’ve not been able to find any other tires which have reasonable shipment times (the 17 inch rear wheel is the problem I think).

Will these tires work? Do you have any other recommendations or sources? Butyl or natural rubber for the inner tubes? Do I need rim strips or are they just for spoke rims? Will I need to order anything else associated with the new tires?

Also, a local dealership has agreed to install these tires for free, so I want to make sure there are no reasons for them not to do so (I was originally going to buy tires from them, but they sold me two front tires and can’t get an appropriate sized rear through their distribution chain; before they realized this, I dropped off my wheels and they removed the old tires).

Thank you all for your help. This is the last big task/purchase I have before I can get this bike on the road.

-Jack

Those are the exact tires I used on my 550T. They worked perfectly. No rim strip with aluminum wheels. All common tubes are butyl so no decision there other than brand.

Good luck.

Edit: in reading some more I was wrong about all the common tubes being butyl, there are various natural rubber tubes available.
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-20-2008, 12:26 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I bought a set of BT45s and I didn't like them. The front cupped out at around 3000. The rear was toast under 2000.
      Maybe they have improved in the last couple of years.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Butyl

It's really easy to find tubes that are latex (rubber) and it's easy to find tubes that are butyl. There are also quite a few that are blended. That's pretty common with tubes from IRC and Dunlop, so probably a good way to go.

Not "all common tubes" are butyl by any 'stretch'....if you'll excuse the pun. Many of the ads spell it out pretty specifically.
        Last edited by rockford; 08-20-2008, 12:19 AM.
        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Tire sizes are good.

Rim strips are mainly for protection against spokes.

Tubes can be used with tubeless-rated tires.

Check your rims. In 1981, some rims were marked "Tubeless Tire Applicable" or something like that. Some have had moderate success by sealing the insides of the rims and going without tubes, but your mileage may vary.

Tire model is up for grabs. Everybody has their own favorite, and I can only relate personal experience. My wife's 850L had a set of Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires installed two years ago. Finally changed them this spring with 14,000 miles on them. Good traction the whole time, and rather inexpensive. If you are interested in them, get them quick, they have stopped production and will not be starting up again.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

My wife's 850L had a set of Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires installed two years ago. Finally changed them this spring with 14,000 miles on them. Good traction the whole time, and rather inexpensive. If you are interested in them, get them quick, they have stopped production and will not be starting up again.

Say WHAT!? What's up with that??? Cheng Shin stopping production of the Hi Max series or all motorcycle tires?

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I looked for the Cheng Shin Hi Max tires based in part on previous reccomendations in this forum, but don't believe they ever made one that would fit my rear tire. I'll be placing an order in the morning for the Bridgestones and may consider converting to tubeless tires at the next tire change.

On a related note, what is the best way to handle a flat tire when running tubes? Should I carry a spare tube or patch kit? Plan on trailering/pushing the bike back home? Mount a spare on the luggage rack?

Comment

I just got the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires and put them on my bike last week. I mounted the 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear. The traction and handling have been fine. I can't speak for longevity yet.

BTW, my '79 850G rims were both marked "tubeless" so I'm running that way. They've been on a week and no drop in tire pressure. I don't see a reason to run tubes if you don't have to.

For flat repair, if you are going touring with tubed tires I think I would carry a spare tube for each and spoons that way you can repair without regard to whether the town you are in has tubes that size. For in town riding I wouldn't worry about it and just trailer it home in the case of a flat. Just my .02.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                  Say WHAT!? What's up with that??? Cheng Shin stopping production of the Hi Max series or all motorcycle tires?
                  I've seen a few mentions of this while looking for tires. It sounds like Cheng Shin will cease production of all street-only tires in Jan. '09.

Comment

I picked up some Dunlop 404's for my 550t from Bikebandit. Using the promo code "motodad" (15% discount, thanks Nessism!) they were very reasonable in cost, about $125 total if I remember right. I don't know anything about longevity because I haven't mounted them yet. They have the "vintage" look I was going for.

Comment

I just purchased a set of avon roadriders in those exact sizes for my 650g (3.25 - 19 and 120/90-17). Were a little pricey around $180 delivered but expect them to be a good tire. I know that Tires unlimited still has some Cheng shin Himax remaining, six 17 inch rears, I asked. Wavered between the Himax and Avons. Finally went with Avons since in correct size for bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
                        I picked up some Dunlop 404's ... They have the "vintage" look I was going for.
                        They may have that 'vintage' look, but if reports are true from a friend of mine, I hope they don't have 'vintage' performance, too.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What have you heard Steve? I couldn't find any reviews on this site for the tire and just decided to go for it. At the time I couldn't get the Pirelli's or Avon's everyone seems to like, and well, they just look right for the bike.

Comment

I just recently bought a set of Shinko 712's and love them. They stick like glue even in the rain. I ridden about 1k miles since I've put them on with no visible signs of wear. You can pick a pair up at bikebandit for around $90 (plus shipping, minus the 15% "motodad" discount).

Disclaimer: I have spoke rims so I'm running these tires with tubes and I never go faster than 65/70 mph so I'm not sure how this would factor into handling, but for what I do they handle great.

Comment

The hot ticket seems to be Metzelers Lasers, now called Lasertecs. Run them on my bikes. No complaints.
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                              X