Help with Tire Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KamakaziDude View Post
    I just recently bought a set of Shinko 712's and love them. They stick like glue even in the rain. I ridden about 1k miles since I've put them on with no visible signs of wear. You can pick a pair up at bikebandit for around $90 (plus shipping, minus the 15% "motodad" discount).

Disclaimer: I have spoke rims so I'm running these tires with tubes and I never go faster than 65/70 mph so I'm not sure how this would factor into handling, but for what I do they handle great.
    I'd never even heard of Shinko tires but I did some searching and they look great! The are inexpensive but look good and all the reviews I found were very favorable. Let us know how they do.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I run continental race attack on my sport bike. they are OK in the rain, but out of this world in dry weather. don't know if they have sizes for GS'.

I used metzeler before that and they were pretty good to.

Comment

Tire selectiom

I am running the Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax's on my 1983 GS1100E. They are superb in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
          I am running the Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax's on my 1983 GS1100E. They are superb in my opinion.
          I've used those for the last few seasons and I really liked them too. Very sticky. I just ate them up too fast. Too much HP and weight.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

As for the D404s I had one on the front of my Guzzi Cal III and on the Interstate it would show feathering and have little balls of rubber on the sides. Even worse in the twisties, but that old Goose can cook in the corners.
            I may have run it about 5k miles and it was toast.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              I'd never even heard of Shinko tires but I did some searching and they look great! The are inexpensive but look good and all the reviews I found were very favorable. Let us know how they do.
              I installed a front Shinko on my (actually, now TheCafeKid's) GS1100GK 4,000 miles ago. It''s a good tire, round, black, and rolls. Does nothing funny. Good in rain, in curves, and it's wearing just fine. I recommend it to anyone.

And, cheap.

Cheap Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                I've used those for the last few seasons and I really liked them too. Very sticky. I just ate them up too fast. Too much HP and weight.
                I love my GT501s also, stick like crazy in the corners but I'm getting good mileage out of mine. About the only advantage to having about 50HP less than you do.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Pacman View Post
                  BTW, my '79 850G rims were both marked "tubeless" so I'm running that way. They've been on a week and no drop in tire pressure. I don't see a reason to run tubes if you don't have to.
                  Chris
                  The 79 GS850G's rear wheel is clearly marked "tubeless." Not so with the front. The 1979, 80, and 81 GS850G and the 80 and 81 GS1000G have front rims that are not marked as tubeless.

The front rim is not marked as tubeless. Check again. If it is marked as tubeless, then your rim is off a newer 850G, 82 or 83, which is interchangeable with the old.

I had a 79 GS850G and an 80 GS850G, and two 82 GS850G's. I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                  X