Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this part? Electrical (next to Solenoid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part? Electrical (next to Solenoid)

Hello everyone!

I bought this bike (1981 GS450) about a month ago - was starting fine. Then suddenly stopped starting - thought it was the battery. Just replaced that. Im slowly going through a number of possible problems but then I noticed this unit that was covered with insulation tape - I uncovered it only to discover that the top corner was melted.

[IMG]file:///D:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Bikes/Suzuki/2008_08200059.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Bikes/Suzuki/2008_08200059.JPG[/IMG]

I'd like to know what this part is and why it could be burnt? Could that be affecting the starting? The Solenoid clicks when I press the button but the engine doesn't turn over.

Then by the way - what is the transparent unit just to the right of the Solenoid?

Thanks a million!

Ohhh, that's not good. Looks like your ignitor box. If that's what it turns out to be, you would be better off swapping that and the OEM pickup coils for a Dyna S ignition system.

Comment

Whats the OEM pickup coil? Where do I find them and whats their function?

Comment

do you mean the round thing with the blue tape on the connector plug on top? if so that is your turn signal relay. not sure about the burnt thing as i dont really know much about the 450's but it looks to me like the fuse box
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yep - I just checked it - its the indicator relay.

Still trying to find a 'definate' answer on the little burnt black box!
          I little stressed!

So far it could be the ignitor box or a fuse box.
          Not sure that its the fuse box as it doesn't seem to open!

Someone help me!

Comment

probably not the fuse box then as mentioned before. more likely the ignitor box on your model. can you find the fuse box elsewhere? if it is the ignitor box it cant be damaged badly as you say the bike will actually run if bump started
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Well thats a relief!
              Thanks!

not sure where the fuse box is - have yet to find it! Wierd!

Ill let everyone know when I come right!
              Thanks again!

Comment

a little tip for you, if you trace the big cable that goes direct from the battery to the starter solenoid and disconnect it from the solenoid end. make sure the bike is in neutral and touch the cable on the other terminal on the solenoid. the starter motor should spin the engine over. make 100% sure the battery is earthed properly to the engine/chassis. if the starter spins up then you know its ok and you have a problem elsewhere. if it wont spin up with 12v directly applied then you know the starter motor is shot!
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

The black box is your ignitor.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilencer View Post
                    Whats the OEM pickup coil? Where do I find them and whats their function?
                    The pickup coils are behind the round cover plate, approx. 6-7" diameter on the lower right side of the engine. They're basically two coils attached to a round metal plate. If you look, there will be a wire coming out from the bottom end near that cover plate and if it goes all the way to the black box in question, then it's definitely the ignitor box.

Best to try to figure out how it got burnt like that before you replace it though. You wouldn't want to burn up a brand new set.

Comment

Looks like it just gave up the "magical smoke" to me. Fairly common failure on these old things. They are NOT cheap to replace however It almost makes more sense to find a mechanical advance mechinism if that bike doesnt use one, and switch to a Dyna S electrionic ignition... Still less money than even a USED ignitor box most times.

Comment

Working...
                      X