Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this part? Above starter, on Engine block

Hi all!
    I may have to remove my starter motor - what is this part sitting inconveniently above it?
    Is oil going to come gushing out when I remove it?
    Anything I should know?

Thanks again!

that is the cam chain tensioner, you should be able to slide the starter motor out without removing it.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      that is the cam chain tensioner, you should be able to slide the starter motor out without removing it.
      He may not be able to on that little twin. Its right on top of the starter there isnt it?

If you HAVE to remove the tensioner, oil will NOT come gushing out. But there are some things to pay attention to when doing so, and even more importantly, when putting it back in. You really need to have a manual to be doing this...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        He may not be able to on that little twin. Its right on top of the starter there isnt it?

If you HAVE to remove the tensioner, oil will NOT come gushing out. But there are some things to pay attention to when doing so, and even more importantly, when putting it back in. You really need to have a manual to be doing this...
        true mate, i have not actually worked on a 450 but it does look like there is enough clearance to slide it out and back rearwards
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Set the engine at TDC before removing the cam chain tensioner, and make VERY sure that you don't disturb or rotate the engine while it's out.

But most of all, GET A MANUAL!

Discover a wide selection of auto, ATV, motorcycle, tractor and equipment repair manuals at RepairManual.com. Choose from trusted brands like Chilton, Haynes, Clymer, and Cyclepedia. Since 1997, we've been the reliable source for comprehensive service manuals, owners manuals, and parts manuals. Shop now for top-notch manuals to enhance your DIY repairs.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

One problem! I only read the 2 later replies now - after removing it (I had to in order to remove the starter.

Now I cant get it back in all the way! Dont have a manual! A little bit panicky!
            It slides back in but wont go the last 2-3 mm! What now!

What do you mean by setting the engine to TDC? Acronym for?

One more question - Can I bump start and run the engine without the starter connected?
            I really need the bike for transport!

Comment

loosen the lock screw on the side, push the skinny rod that went in the engine, and twist the large spring/bolt to the left(counter-clockwise). tighten the lockscrew while holding the rod in. install on engine and loosed lock screw.

Comment

Thanks for that!

Do you happen to know if I can run the bike without a starter?

Comment

you have to plug the hole that leads to the crankcase but i dont see why not.

Comment

This should tell (and show) you everything you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Set the engine at TDC before removing the cam chain tensioner, and make VERY sure that you don't disturb or rotate the engine while it's out.

But most of all, GET A MANUAL!

http://repairmanuals.com
                      Brian TDC on what cylinder 1/4.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilencer View Post
                        What do you mean by setting the engine to TDC? Acronym for?
                        Top Dead Center.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since you already removed it, don't move the engine again until you reinstall the tensioner.

For future reference, here's some info on TDC and your GS:
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X