Leaking/Seeping Oil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking/Seeping Oil Question

Ok, new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question. I'm new to motorcycle repair as well, but can do most car repairs when a problem pops up. Anyway, I just took ownership of a 1980 GS850 L that according to the PO had been sitting for about 3 years or so in a grange. I got the bike started by using the choke and it will run, but not very good. I know I'm going to have to clean the carbs and plan on doing that real soon.

I've took the bike out and rode it a pretty good bit trying to see if it'll clear up on it's own, because I've been putting Seafoam into the gas. It is starting/trying to run pretty good, but it don't want to idle as you can imagine without the carbs being clean properly. The thing that's bothering me, when I first started riding it, it seemed to be leaking a lot of oil (top cover gasket, seal around shift indicator). It first was coming out the number 1 carb and into the air box. Now it seems to have stopped coming out the number one carb, but instead is coming out the number 4 carb and seeping out at the number 4 exhaust flange. My question, could this all be due to dried out valve seals ? I mean is was sitting on the kick stand and the right hand side top of the engine had to be dry sitting like that for 3 years. Could this oil stop seeping out the number 4 exhaust flange and number 4 carb after awhile, or do I need to replace the valve seals, or ring or both. Could this be happening because the carbs are dirty and out of adjustment ? Sorry, for the long draw out question

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM.

It's probably all related to the dirty carbs..

Comment

I'd say clean the carbs per instructions on this site, change the oil and filter, also get some new plugs, with the proper gapping and see where you stand.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        It's probably all related to the dirty carbs..

I hope you're not just trying to poke fun at me. I mean I know the oil coming out the shift indicator and the cam cover isn't being caused by the carbs being dirty, at least I sure wouldn't think so but anything possible I guess. It's the oil that's seeping out the exhaust flange and number 4 carb that's got me. I was just thinking if the carbs were all out a sync and/or maybe the number 4 carb maybe not working like it should might cause it to throw oil out that side...I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          I'd say clean the carbs per instructions on this site, change the oil and filter, also get some new plugs, with the proper gapping and see where you stand.
          Thanks Larry, thats my plan. I've already changed the oil and the plugs. Cleaning the carbs are next on my list.

Comment

Oil coming out of the carbs? The crankcase is too full!

Sounds like the fuel petcock leaked while it was sitting and filled the carbs, which in turn the needle valves didn't seat and the carbs filled the cylinders with gas, which leaked past the rings into the crankcase.
            You now have excessive crankcase pressure due to it being too full.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
              Oil coming out of the carbs? The crankcase is too full!

Sounds like the fuel petcock leaked while it was sitting and filled the carbs, which in turn the needle valves didn't seat and the carbs filled the cylinders with gas, which leaked past the rings into the crankcase.
              You now have excessive crankcase pressure due to it being too full.
              All that makes perfect sense, but, I've removed and tested the petcock according to steps on this site as well as other sites. It seems to be working like it should. It's been sitting now for a week or longer, and I just checked the oil level while it was sitting on the center stand and it's below the full mark. I also changed the oil because of how long it had been sitting. I guess the needle valves could be sticking open though. It for sure needs the carbs cleaned and the o-rings replaced.

Comment

Working...
              X