Help with sprockets please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with sprockets please

I'm looking to add a little torque to my bike by changing the sprockets.
    I'd like to go up two teeth in the back and down one in the front.
    So I'd be looking at a 47 rear and a 13 front. Any thoughts on this,
    good... bad.... and where can I find the sprockets? Thanks all, Brian

Thirteen is too small on the front. the chain will have to make too tight of a corner to go around the sprocket. (this is called chain wrap) and will cause faster wear on your chain and a small loss of hp. what size is your bike? in general one tooth in the front equals three in the back, so if you were to change both like you said you would run over 1000 rpm higher in top gear at any given speed. I would just dop one tooth in the front or go up three in the back from stock this will make a noticble difference in acceleration, but you will lose a little top speed.

Comment

That will be a huge change. I've heard that going under 14 in front can accelerate chain wear. It would be a blast around town, but will make highway travel difficult, and you'll lose a few mpg's. I went 1 tooth down on the front with my 700, and mpg fell to 39 from 41, I swap back and forth depending on my mood, as it only takes about 15 min to swap it out.

Comment

I've been considering picking up one of the newer chain sprocket combinations off the newer Gixxers. It would be a cinch for me with the Gixxer wheels I run. Right now I've got a 14/40 combo so a 16/45 or something close would work. Something like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2415456605.

Comment

I went down one tooth in the front and it did make for a lot of fun about town but made the 750 a bit buzzy a highway speeds. I would suggest dropping the one tooth on front and see how you like it then go farther if you like. I do swap back and forth as the mood strikes me.

Comment

It's an 85 GS700E. 14 and 45 are stock. I'll stick with the 14 in front
            and go with a 47 in back I guess. Billy, can you post a picture of your
            bike please? If it's the one I'm thinking it is, it is pretty sweet looking.
            I found a link to about any sprocket you could possibly want, here goes

Comment

The stock 83 750 rear was 43 so Suzuki must have upped that to 45 to make up for the loss of low grunt lost by shaving 50cc. I do run a 45 rear on my 750- 2 teeth up is a good compromise without losing any real top gearing. I have two complete sprocket/hub assemblies, one 43 and one 45, this makes gearing changes quick-simply remove one from the rubber cush drive and replace-start to finish about 15 minutes. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Sprockets

From past experience, both with motorcycles and industrial, change the rear sprocket. Going smaller on the front does shorten the chain life.

Comment

Originally posted by livin4real
                  Billy, can you post a picture of your
                  bike please? If it's the one I'm thinking it is, it is pretty sweet looking.
                  Wouldn't have been my bike. I've never posted any pictures anywhere. I don't have a digital camera. If after the Hill Country Ride next week pictures of my bike don't pop up here I'll take some shots with my 35mm and take them to Wal-Mart for development. I can have them put them on CD and on a website for viewing.

Comment

Oh no, now I'll never know whose half GS/half Gixxer that was. I saw
                    the picture on a post on here and could have sworn it was yours. Well
                    whoever it is, it looked silverish, with aftermarket cowling that made the rear end look like a new gixxer. It was real sharp, anyone know who it might have been?

Comment

That was the bike of the month awhile back. The editors could tell you. The person that owned the bike emailed me to see if I had pics of mine. His was an 1100. Check the gallery.

Comment

I think I found it. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=gsxr

Comment

Doesn't have the rear cowling though, like I was thinking. Still looks good though.

Comment

It's not the one I was thinking of. The Bike of the Month bike was silver and had Gixxer wheels and stuff. The bike you found belongs to motorcyclemodeller.

Comment

Too bad the editors don't start a page for all the past BoM's. There have been some great ones. A few with everything from GSX-R wheels and suspension to Gixxer motors.

Comment

Working...
                              X