VM carbs, stuck air screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carbs, stuck air screws

The air screws on 3 of the four carbs are basically cemented into place, and henceforth, stripped to all hell. Now I know that I can just chop a new slot in them to remove them, but I'm worried that whatever made them stick in the first place is still gonna keep it there once i get the new slots cut. The screws seem to have some sort of white residue around the edges. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you had some pointers on this as I don't really want to find new carbs if I screw it up...

oh yeah
    1979 gs750L

Use some carb spray and liberally spray around and all over the screws and let them soak, do it again & again. Work the screws back and forth a 1/4 turn at a time and gradually try to work them out that way. If they move then spray them again to get the cleaner down into the threads to melt away any gunk.

Comment

I to have stuck screws I am trying paint remover will let you know.

Comment

I'd also advise heating the blighters up to try and free them. Don't use a blow torch as you'll b*gger up the rubbers - boil the whole carb in an old saucepan of water with a drop (and I mean just a drop) of detergent added.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Narcoleptic_Snowman View Post
          ... but I'm worried that whatever made them stick in the first place is still gonna keep it there once i get the new slots cut. ...
          What made them stick in the first place is TIME. They have probably not been moved in the last 10-15 years, maybe more. PB Blaster also seems to work its way in where other products do not work, but heat is good, too. As suggested, soak the screws with a penetrating oil (PB), then try to work the screws back and forth until they come out. Brush the threads of the screws to clean the corrosion when you finally get them out. To keep this from happening in the future, ride the bike. Ride it enough that you have to actually do some maintenance and adjusting on it every year or so. If you choose not to ride it, at least turn the screws every year or two to make sure they can still move.

Oh, yeah, why not generate a sig line that shows what you ride?

That way you don't have to say "oh, yeah" when you make a post.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got all the screws out but had to drill every one and use a easyout.Have a parts bank of carbs so got some good needles and got it running now to chop the plugs.

Comment

Working...
            X