Wiring turn signals to be manual signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring turn signals to be manual signals

I have a 79 gs850 that little auto cancel box is a POS. I'm not interested in having it on my bike.

So I need to figure out how to wire it up to be a manual operation signal. I'll work out getting a manual signal switch later and I already have a 3 prong electronic flasher.

I have the color schematic for my bike thanks to BassCliff's website. However, that little black box makes deciphering what wires really do what a bit tricky.

Can someone tell me how I wire the flasher to the turn signals?

Sorry for being electrically ignorant, I just got my bike running a few days ago after over a year of working on it (my very first motorcycle) and just want to rig the signals up real quick as I don't own any other means of transportation.

As always any advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2008, 11:29 PM.

I have not had to do this little mod, so I can't give you any details, but I just wanted to let you know that a 3-prong flasher may not be the answer to your problem, or is more than likely not even be necessary.

Yes, the stock flasher is a 3-prong, but it is NOT wired the same as other commercially-available 3-prong flashers. Most of the people on this board that have talked about removing the self-cancelling box have also mentioned using a 2-prong flasher.

Basically, if you are going to remove the self-canceler, you need to follow the wiring diagram, find the wire that goes to the flasher and the one that goes from the flasher to the turn signal switch. If I was at home, I could give you wire colors. At any rate, they will be two adjacent terminals of the stock 3-prong flasher. Put your 2-prong flasher in those locations and enjoy turning them off yourself.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just use a wiring diagram from an earlier model that did not have the flasher cancelling thingo. It should make it really obvious what you need to do.
      Cheers.

Comment

The 79 vintage has 2 plugs on the TS module Cut the 4 wire plug off of the module, connect the green w green/black and connect the black with the red/black, then plug it back into the harness. Then you need to connect a two prong flasher in serries into the system-- orange wire from TS switch to fuse block. Then deal with the switch

Comment

Hi Mr. justanother54321,

There's lots of 850G lovin' on my little BikeCliff website. I even have a turn signal fix that might help you, in a PDF file called Turn Signal Relay Replacement.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great.

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Working...
            X