proper cam chain tension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper cam chain tension?

I had the valve cover off my bike to do a lash adjustment. I pushed down on the cam chain between the cam sprockets and I found i could move it up and down more than an inch How much is normal or acceptable? I didnt measure the chain for stretch but I should have. Seems like a lot, is that normal or should i take my tensioner off and recheck it?
    Bike has 61,000 kms on it

That IS too much movement! Measure the chain stretch limits listed in your shop manual & replace the chain if required. If the chain measures ok, look at both of the cam chain guides. If THEY are ok, call APE & order a manual cam chain tensioner for a GS1100. Yes, that is the one you need. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

lock your automatic tensioner rod and take the assembly off the engine
      if the rod is in the max outward position, your chain is too stretched and/or the chain guides are worn out

but more likely you have a tensioner that wasnt properly adjusted and/or is stuck / locked in place
      GS850GT

Comment

I guess I will take off the tensioner tomorrow and check it. The loose chain must one of the sources of noise i hear. I had the tensioner off to reset it a while ago, but I didnt check for proper operation. I heard the chains are good for 100,000 miles so I will assume its the tensioner or guides.

Comment

One inch
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Either way, throw that stock Suzuki tensioner in the garbage & order an APE tensioner! Trust me, it is the right way to go & they are only about 60 bucks. BigJay here is the owner of APE & he will hook you up. Ray.

Comment

Ya, I would like to get the APE tensioner, but money is a bit tight now, too many new parts for my new toy already!
              I pulled the tensioner out and played around with the action and it was getting stuck 1/2 way out so I cleaned and re-installed it.
              Started the bike up and WOW! soooo much quieter, before it sounded like a can of marbles YEEHA sweet.
              Thanks for your help and insight guys! You ROCK

Comment

Working...
              X