X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain tensioner Thread stripped!

Hi all!

A little emergency has arisen!
    I needed to remove my starter and couldn't squeeze it out without removing the Cam Chain Tensioner.
    I removed it succesfully but when it came to replacing it I somehow stripped the one thread in the engine block itself!

I need suggestions! Please!

That's going to need a thread repair insert, like a Helicoil (something called a timesert seems to be preferred around here though). You'll have to pull the air box and carbs to have enough room to work.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Believe it or not, you may be able to just run a tap through it & clean up the threads. The key AFTER that is to use a bolt that is 1/4 inch longer in that hole! Check to make sure it won't bottom out & be too long but I'll bet around 1/4 inch longer will do it for you. Do NOT try to do a Helicoil there if you have never done it or you will be taking the motor apart if you mess it up. Ray.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I ended up having to remove the entire engine and take it to motor engineers to have the hole re-drilled 8mm.
        They then inserted a Helicoil reducing the size to 6mm and I was back to new!
        What an episode though! Just for a stripped thread!
        Hope no one else makes that mistake!

Comment

when in a pinch..a 1/4-20 american would have ran right into the stripped 6mm hole and worked great(self tapping) well kinda...
          too late now i guess.

Comment

Ugh. What a job. Did you at least get to fix a few other things while you had it out?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              a 1/4-20 american would have ran right into the stripped 6mm hole and worked great
              1/4 -20 Might be a tad hard to find in South Africa.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                1/4 -20 Might be a tad hard to find in South Africa.
                i would rather order a bolt than R&R an engine...but thats just me

Comment

I would rather have just chased the threads & put in a 1/4 inch longer bolt! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X