GS 1000 engine into GSXR frame!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 engine into GSXR frame!

I want to build a XR41 replica! Has anyone installed an 8v engine into a 1st generation GSXR frame? Please post pics. Thanks, G.

YJ over on OSS is building a XR69 replica right now - right up your alley.

http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi...num=1193862776

Comment

That would be an interesting project. I have installed a GSXR1100 engine into my 83 GS550ES and have the frame from the 1100 sitting here. I also have a 1979 GS 750E sitting here that I could test drop into the alloy frame to see how close the mounts are.
      That is if the 750 and 1000 cases have the same mounting.

Comment

If ya really want a project, put the Guzzi engine in the Suzook frame....

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
          If ya really want a project, put the Guzzi engine in the Suzook frame....
          Ahh but that would need to be built from a GS XXX G to have the shaft drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
            That would be an interesting project. I have installed a GSXR1100 engine into my 83 GS550ES and have the frame from the 1100 sitting here. I also have a 1979 GS 750E sitting here that I could test drop into the alloy frame to see how close the mounts are.
            That is if the 750 and 1000 cases have the same mounting.
            More or less the same mounts, but spaced a little differently. The 750 case is longer than the 1000 due to the kicker and all that gearing for it.

Comment

When converting a gs750 to a 1000, does the engine essentially bolt in? Or is there some fabrication to be done.
              My 750 engine is still bolted in its frame but I need to pull the clutch from it to install in the fresh 79 550 engine I am building this winter.
              The top is off the 750 engine so it is pretty easy to handle.

Comment

I have installed a GSXR1100 engine into my 83 GS550ES
                that's gotta be scary fast.

Comment

When converting a gs750 to a 1000, does the engine essentially bolt in? Or is there some fabrication to be done.
                  My 750 engine is still bolted in its frame but I need to pull the clutch from it to install in the fresh 79 550 engine I am building this winter.
                  The top is off the 750 engine so it is pretty easy to handle.
                  FWIR, it will involve the figureing out of ONE mount for sure (the rear main) and then possibly the bottom left hand mount. I havent YET done this, will be soon hopefully, but its PRETTY close to bolt in.

Comment

I will go out and start looking at some of these areas.
                    I am heading out of town for the weekend for a hillclimb so I may not be able to report till next week.
                    Heck someone may have done the swap by then.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                      that's gotta be scary fast.
                      Especially with that skittish 550 front end, he'd better buy brown leathers!

Comment

I am not sure if my 550 would be considered scary fast by todays standards but it will probably be scary. I have not ridden it yet.
                        I do not have the original front on her anymore, Pics here,
                        Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Comment

Ahh but that would need to be built from a GS XXX G to have the shaft drive.
                          But that is what makes it a challenging and worthwhile project....

Comment

It can be done. Not to long ago there was an article in a magazine about a moto guzzi le mans, wich they converted from shaft to chain drive.
                            Anything is possible, given the time and money.
                            Ed

Comment

I am not sure if my 550 would be considered scary fast by todays standards but it will probably be scary. I have not ridden it yet.
                              I do not have the original front on her anymore, Pics here,
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=130937
                              Well scary is relative I suppose, especiially when it comes to inlaws! ;-)

The scary bit about the stock 550s is that 16" front wheel which you've changed out. I must say that's a pretty impressive project, I wish I had the time to play around with stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X