83 GS 450L Running Rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 450L Running Rich

I finally got my bike running after taking the carbs apart and cleaning them. The problem now is it is running REALLY rich. I believe my problem is that I didn't note the setting of the pilot screws when I removed them (First time tearing a carb apart, live and learn). Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about resetting them? i.e. is loosening the screws leaning the mixture or what. Does anyone have an idea what the approximate factory settings are?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve

carb settings

I just cleaned up a set from an 82 450 and the screws were 3 1/2 turns out. I haven't put them on the bike yet so I can't help with the tuning.

Comment

thanks. I have a place to start.

Comment

I've got a 1980 GS450L. I believe the carbs were the same for years 80-83.
        On my bike, I've tried the whole range of mixture screw settings and float settings. Turning the mixture screw out (counter clockwise) makes the mixture richer. I've found that adjusting the mixture screws for maximum RPM at idle results in the best power throughout the RPM range. In my case this is about 3 turns out from fully closed.
        Don't overlook the importance of proper float height. Also, if your floats are a bit leaky (filling up with gas a bit) then your mixture will always be too rich.

Comment

"fully closed" but not too tight......very soft metal

Comment

Yeah, not too tight for sure. About the most torque/pressure you want to use is roughly about what you could apply with a slick handled jewelers screwdriver held between two greasy fingers. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by kyle
            "fully closed" b
            ut not too tight......very soft metal
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X