No announcement yet.

Brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight at the calipers & angles (I guess 30 degree too) on both at the master.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan I picked up the stainless steel braided pipe from Earl's today. Guy behind the counter put two straight banjos on each end of the two metres that I bought. So a good lesson learnt from an expert.

Now that I've done the single disc setup with the CBR disc and twin pistons and steel lines, I am now tempted to go to the twin disc conversion but would like to still use CBR discs. They are so much lighter than the Suzuki originals. I just need to find a Honda that uses 295mm discs. What is the latest on your setup with the twin CBR discs? Are you making a different bracket?

Also I have just picked up a set of new progressive front springs from Progressive Suspension for the 650 forks.

I'll post some pics at the weekend of the setup for you.

Comment

old gs,

yes, get stainless lines. they will (if you put them together yourself) cost less than oem. there is a "homemade brakelines video" link here, if you search, that is pretty good, also a tutorial on mr bwringers site, which i link to from mr basscliff's site that will help too. super easy. yes, you will need new banjos, you can get it all through earls. i "think" there is an extra long banjo bolt that lets you run 2 banjos directly from the front m/c, thus eliminating the splitter....i am sure i saw that, maybe on bwringers site, im not sure, but somewhere. this also gets 2 banjos out of your system, bringing the cost down a little.

greg

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
        A rebuild is what I'm doing know. The caliper pistons had some pitting, and the fluid was like yesterday's coffee.

I have already ordered the caliper rebuild kits for both front calipers, and already have my new fluid reservoir cause the old one was warped and practically folding in on itself.. but I'm kind of stumped with what to do about the brake lines.

I know I can order OEM replacements for the bike, but I've seen a lot of people recommend going with stainless steel lines. So my question is, if I do that, does it require getting new banjo fittings for all the lines?

And is there a simple explanation of a way to install new lines while doing away with that splitter that sits over the front fender?

As always, thanks ..
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Don,

You need CBR F3 disks. You need a spacer, seems Jeff is going to try using a wheel spacer from a spoked GS1000, I've had some made up (but they forgot the 56mm centre hole...)

I won't have new ones till September sometime... so am unlikely to be able to test these till end of September ish.

If you want a couple of the spacers I have with no centre hole you're welcome to them. You'd have to put it in or get it put in yourself.

Alternatively as it's you... I could give you the CAD drawing & you could get them made up locally. If you start making for the Aussie's you owe me a license fee

Personally I think the single sided one will look pretty cool... be perfect on a cafe project!

Cheers,

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Don,

You need CBR F3 disks. You need a spacer, seems Jeff is going to try using a wheel spacer from a spoked GS1000, I've had some made up (but they forgot the 56mm centre hole...)

I won't have new ones till September sometime... so am unlikely to be able to test these till end of September ish.

If you want a couple of the spacers I have with no centre hole you're welcome to them. You'd have to put it in or get it put in yourself.

Alternatively as it's you... I could give you the CAD drawing & you could get them made up locally. If you start making for the Aussie's you owe me a license fee

Personally I think the single sided one will look pretty cool... be perfect on a cafe project!

Cheers,

Dan
            Dan what model, year and capacity is the F3. What size is the caliper off the F3. I think I might go with the single disc for a while. I think it will have plenty of stopping power for the 550/700. I was just eager to use the 650 front forks as I now have the progressive springs for them. But maybe the springs will fit in the 550 forks, I will have to check that out.

Could you email me the CAD drawing thanks. If I start to make a small fortune selling your designed bits to Aussie GS owners you will see me contacting them via the GSResources website and then you can demand your 0.02c per item. ha ha. Can you believe that I don't actually know another single GS owner in OZ. That's why I love this site so much. I feel like I really know you guys that contribute all the time.

Bye for now.

Comment

mmm....wait a sec, wait a sec here....twin pot mod for single disk bikes? i gotta find that thread!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                mmm....wait a sec, wait a sec here....twin pot mod for single disk bikes? i gotta find that thread!!!!
                How does this grab ya????

EDIT: Later pic further down on this page with SS brakeline fitted, etc.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2008, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                  old gs,

yes, get stainless lines. they will (if you put them together yourself) cost less than oem. there is a "homemade brakelines video" link here, if you search, that is pretty good, also a tutorial on mr bwringers site, which i link to from mr basscliff's site that will help too. super easy. yes, you will need new banjos, you can get it all through earls. i "think" there is an extra long banjo bolt that lets you run 2 banjos directly from the front m/c, thus eliminating the splitter....i am sure i saw that, maybe on bwringers site, im not sure, but somewhere. this also gets 2 banjos out of your system, bringing the cost down a little.

greg
                  Greg,

As ever, thanks for the advice. I found that tutorial and will definitely try to craft my own lines. If I can elminate a couple of banjos, I might give that a try as well. Cost is becoming a factor, but so far my wife has not asked me to tally this up. Whew!

- Hector

Comment

No probs Don. Got to see if I can find your email address though now!

CBR 600 around 1996 vintage

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Don,

Cheers,

Dan
                      Well, I will say that I dont have the stomache for the experimenting anymore on the cafe...ive added and rid and added stuff time and time again..so on THIS one, im waiting for you guys to hash out the details, and wait for you Dan to sell the needed spacers, etc. I will hunt up some CBR rotors, as I'll want to do this on the cafe AND the 1100ES when it gets here....cant wait...Say...you keep making up these metal bits, and we'll have to change your name to Steely Dan (a fav group of mine might I add)

Comment

No probs Don. Got to see if I can find your email address though now!

CBR 600 around 1996 vintage

Dan
                        Thanks Dan. What diameter are the discs.

P.S. Job finished. Fitted stainless lines last night and bled system..

See Jeff's Ninja post in performance mods. just added some pics of finished article.

Not real happy about the bend in the speedo cable though. Might have to work on that a bit.

Thanks for all your help. Would never have got it done without your help and advice.
                        Also Jeff all this was your original idea and you kickstarted us all off and got us thinking on this line. Well done.

Dan my email address is in my profile. Cheers.

Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Don,

You need a spacer, seems Jeff is going to try using a wheel spacer from a spoked GS1000, I've had some made up (but they forgot the 56mm centre hole...)

If the CAD drawing shows the dimensions for the spacer I will get some made up at the club and try them out as well.

Comment

Yes I can either send you AutoCAD or as a PDF, up to you.... I'll be testing them mid September.

Your setup looks great now it's finished.

Those CBR rotors are approx the same as the 550's. About 294 - 296mm Can't remember exactly which from memory.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yes I can either send you AutoCAD or as a PDF, up to you.... I'll be testing them mid September.

Your setup looks great now it's finished.

Those CBR rotors are approx the same as the 550's. About 294 - 296mm Can't remember exactly which from memory.

Dan
                              Hi Dan. Thanks. Yes PDF would be best thanks.

I will be looking forward to the results of your testing in mid September.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
                                Greg,

As ever, thanks for the advice. I found that tutorial and will definitely try to craft my own lines. If I can elminate a couple of banjos, I might give that a try as well. Cost is becoming a factor, but so far my wife has not asked me to tally this up. Whew!

- Hector
                                hey, brakes are a safety issue. my wife gave me carte blanche to spend what i needed to spend on fixing the brakes. now i gotta convince her that a new sv650 is needed for my own safety....

Comment

Working...
                                X