Adjustable Cam Sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Cam Sprockets

I have a 1980 1100ET and wanted to add a little more power. I have added a 4 into 1 Vance and Hines megaphone, a Dyno Jet Stage 3 Jet Kit, UNI individual air pods, and a set of adjustable cam sprockets. My problem is that I have a Clymer manual that show me how to time the cam useing the origanal sprocket but gives no instructions for useing adjustable cam sprockets. I am good with a wrench and am sure I can complete the work myself but since I have never done this before I need a little / A LOT of information to complete the job. I have spoken with many people and even a few bike shop and no one could help. I got the idea from Dink, so Dink if you read this HELP. This is all that I have left to complete my beast and get on the road. The more info offered the better.

I thanks everyone for your outstanding site and all of your support.
    Greg

Check out biker66's website. Has a great rundown on it (under "My Modifications" on the left side menu).

Comment

If you can get a copy of Jewel Hendricks' book "Superbike Preperation", I would highly recommend it. It mostly covers 1980's hardware and has an excellent how-to section on cam timing and also covers basic engine performance and chasis setup. Even if you don't race it is an excellent read. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Thanks Pete! Looks like it may be a little more than I am ready for. I hope there is some more info. about the process coming.

Greg

Comment

If its like most aftermarket cam sprockets there are dots on them at the proper places. there should be a dot on the sprocket that is located for the place where you usually lay the camshaft in the head and get it correctly positioned and dots where you count teeth on the cam chain. Honestly you will need the stock camshaft #`s(lobe centers) and theres no way you can just bolt them in. It will take a dead stop for your spark plug hole and a dial indicator and degree wheel. Unless you have shaved your head or have cam chain problems such as loose or very worn where your stock cam timing is way off I do not think you will benefit much from all this with a stock head and camshaft. You can cahnge the #`s and gain torque or high rpm HP but for your application I don`t know if its worth it.

Comment

cbxchris I disagree with you on this point. I have seen and heard of GS(X) motors with the stock cams upto 16 degrees out as delivered by the factory, I am a believer in adjustable cam sprockets if for no other reason than being certain the cam timing is correct to original specs.
            Greg this is a job I would recommend you have done professionally, as it involves significantly more than can be explained simply.
            Dink

Comment

Dink I guess I should have expalined myself better.. Yeah if someone wants to see what they have check the stock timing BEFORE you install sprockets...it may not need be changed. On the subject of sprockets...I`ve bought them because I was lazy but I used to put stockers on a milling machine and do them myself...or I`ve seen people take a hand grinder and do it. If you will look most of the time the teeth are better on the stock sprocket...just better machining.

Comment

Re -read biker 66 article on cam timing it really is not that hard, I have read many articles and even had an audio tape on the subject ,but his is is very clear and easy. If you make the piston stop and invest in a degree wheel or dial indicater, the cost will be less than paying somone to do the job. 106 degrees is a great place to start. and once you know how to do it you can try different combos. If you are handy with wrenches like you said you probably can handle it. If you are not comfortable than follow Dinks advice and have a pro do it

Comment

Working...
                X