82 GS1100G popping/backfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100G popping/backfiring

I brought a non-running GS1100G and having problem getting to run properly. I have cleaned and balance the carbs, install baffle in the kerber 4to1 pipes, installed air pods for filters and new plugs. The bike will only idle when starting with no choke it will backfire thru carbs. When giving it gas it will miss, sputter and pop thru the exhaust.

Thanks in advance for helping .

Bubbajet
    1982 GS1100G
    Kennesaw, Georgia

when you say you balanced the carbs, do you mean you bench synced'em?

kinda sounds like an ultra lean condition to me, or i suppose ultra rich. you getting a black smoke? when you cleaned the carbs, did you ajust the pilot idle screws out to 2.5-3 turns?

Comment

Balanced carbs on bike with TwinMax carb tool.
      I get a little black smoke from exhaust, idle mixture is at 1 1/2 turns out

Thanks,
      Bubbajet

Comment

i'd increase it to at least 2.5 .. i've got the same year/model bike and mine likes 3.25 turns out.

Comment

OK I will turn it out, adjusting makes no differant in idle speed, I looked up the dynojet kit stage 3 they recommend, They say a 170 main jet mine are 120 I guess today I will see if I can find the kit .

Thanks

Comment

wait wait.. you mean, you have the 4 into 1 exhaust but didn't rejet from stock jets when you installed it? that would explain it right there :P i guess i missed that part.. ya you are going to be way way way lean going from stock exhaust and airbox to 4 into 1's and pods. rejet is the only way.

Comment

It was on it when I brought it just no baffle. P.O told me he had it rejetted I see now that he didnt. With the pods and header I guest Im looking at stage 3

Thanks

Comment

Stage 3

Finally got the dynojet kit installed runs better mid and full throttle. The low end is not so good(burning rich), tried adjust idle mixture no help. I found 1 adjustment screw damage(filed down). Does anyone know a source where I can purchase a new mixture screw?

Comment

I've got a few extra. Let me know if you want one.
                  Did you drill the slides via the Dynojet instructions? Insert the main air jet press in?
                  Are you having trouble with idle or throttle roll on.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X