550 tripmeter reset knob replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 tripmeter reset knob replacement

I picked myself up a replacement tripmeter knob for my gs550t. I know it is the correct one because it came off a gs550t parts bike. My problem is that the stub is still on my original odometer and won't unscrew. The replacement one came off easy. Does anyone know a trick to get it off? I'd like to retain the original odometer and have replaced all of the dinged chrome, etc. already. Small, but annoying problem.

I'm not looking at it, but... needle nose pliers?

Don't they just pull straight out vs. 'unscrew'? I'll pull mine out this afternoon/evening and look at it.

Comment

Just pulls off !!!

Comment

I am going to feel really silly if it just pulls off. Relieved too. I'll check when I get home. Thanks!

Comment

It definitely does NOT pull off. The replacement is threaded and unscrews by turning the opposite of the way you turn it to reset the tripmeter. I can put the replacement on and off the parts cluster with no problem, but the one on my bike just "pops" and won't turn loose. Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
            It definitely does NOT pull off. The replacement is threaded and unscrews by turning the opposite of the way you turn it to reset the tripmeter. I can put the replacement on and off the parts cluster with no problem, but the one on my bike just "pops" and won't turn loose. Anybody?
            try dynamite?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
              Mine will turn backwards freely, and has splines inside the shaft instead of threads. If your threads are stripped on the broken stub part, put outward pressure on it while turning and that might get it started. Sorry if that sounds so obvious it's stupid. If something in the meter is letting go then ?. How do you screw that design on without the meter turning freely forward?

Comment

My 550L trip reset knob just pulls ou - there's an o-ring on the shaft OD.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I've tried pushing and pulling to see if I can get a little leverage on the threads but no go. The knob is threaded on the inside and they are left hand threads. The knob is supposed to unscrew when twisted clockwise. To reset the tripmeter you turn it counter-clockwise. The resistance of the tripmeter limits the amount of force you can put on it to tighten it.

I think I'm going to try to apply a small amount of heat to soften the plastic. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll take it apart.

Comment

What about cutting off the stuck knob end to expose the threads/shaft. cut a small screwdriver slot into the shaft end to hold a flat blade screwdriver, then grab the knob with some pliers & twist.

Hit the trheads with some PB blaster too.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                    X