X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
    Light up only when signaling.
    No running lights, in other words.

I checked my front lights. They have two elements. Coming out of the lighting fixture are a red and black wire. The grounding wire is connected to the nut, but then it is not connected to anything else. The black wire is the grounding wire, red is hot. What the heck?

Stupid POs and their "improvements".

Comment

Thank you. Sorry to sound like an idiot, I just guessed that the lights were to remain lit and then flash after I hit my signal button. I suppose they didn't have the technology back then! lol

I'm definitely relieved that they're working the way they're meant to.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Only newer GM cars that use the turn signals as their Daytime Running Lights will have them on all the time, except when they are flashing. I have some problems with that concept. I appreciate the DRLs, but please don't use the signal lamps. When (not if) one of them burns out, you are left to wonder ... is that a burned-out DRL, or is he turning in the direction of the lit light, and he has problems with his rear bulb? (Most car's signals don't flash if a bulb burns out, so if the rear burns out, the front comes on steady.) Too much uncertainty with vehicles that might be headed my way.

Back to our GS bikes ... not sure when they started ('82 or so?), but some of the larger bikes, 1100, 1000, 850, had dual-filament bulbs in the front signals only. This gave the capability of running lamps to enhance the apparent size of the bike, especially at night, when you would see three lights coming at you. Keep in mind that the running light filament is not nearly as bright as the turn signal filament. This is the same bulb that is used in the back for your tail light and brake light.

At the back of the bike, there have only been single-filament bulbs. These are exclusively used as turn signals, never for tail lights, as they are yellow, not red. Just like the front, they come ON (then OFF, then ON, etc.) only when the switch is activated.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X