Carb Plug Thread Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Plug Thread Pitch

Has anyone determined the CV carb bowl plug thread size/pitch? I haven't found a cross reference for it. It seems to be 6mm, but a nonstandard pitch. The carbs are on a n '80 850 GL.

Sears sells a thread pitch guage, you should be able to find out using this tool. It's what i used to determine the thread pitch of the choke cable plunger threads on my BSW30SS carbs.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
      Has anyone determined the CV carb bowl plug thread size/pitch? I haven't found a cross reference for it. It seems to be 6mm, but a nonstandard pitch. The carbs are on a n '80 850 GL.
      This is just a guess. But if it is 6mm and the thread is finer than the standard 1mm pitch, then it is probably .7mm pitch (which works out as 36TPI). The 6 x 1mm pitch is 25.4TPI obviously.

As suggested us a thread pitch gauge and you will be able to work it out.

Comment

Do you need some?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I was also looking at converting the plugs to a socket head.

I was taking the lazy man's way of finding out. Converting these appears to take more work than I'm willing to give it right now.

My local bolt shop didn't have a replacement (this is a true bolt store that supplies to the local industries). I admit I should have had them check the pitch and see if its even available. It was close to closing time and I think I interupted his break.

Even McMaster-Carr didn't have anything other than the standard pitch for a replacement.

Comment

They are the standard 6mm X 1.0 pitch. I forget how long these screws are, but they're very short.

The threads on yours might be boogered up, or some clueless git has replaced them with something else.

I've found a lot of 1/4 inch crap wedged into 6mm holes on metric bikes.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X