Starter brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter brushes

I see on Rick site they list 3 sets of starter brushes for 82 1100G.
    And on other sites and other catalogs I see what seems to be the same 3 sets.
    - 2 brush Mitsuba
    - 4 brush Mitsuba
    - 2 brush NipponDenso
    All about $18 or $19.

Anybody have any comment about that?
    NipponDenso sounds familiar.
    Or do I need to take out my starter to see which type it is?

Also, I see can also get brush/ring set. WHen would it be better to get that? Thats more like $40 or $45.

Have done some searches, havent found info specific to this.

Thanks

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    I see on Rick site they list 3 sets of starter brushes for 82 1100G.
    And on other sites and other catalogs I see what seems to be the same 3 sets.
    - 2 brush Mitsuba
    - 4 brush Mitsuba
    - 2 brush NipponDenso
    All about $18 or $19.

Anybody have any comment about that?
    NipponDenso sounds familiar.
    Or do I need to take out my starter to see which type it is?

Also, I see can also get brush/ring set. WHen would it be better to get that? Thats more like $40 or $45.

Have done some searches, havent found info specific to this.

Thanks
    That would be best, but you may also have to open it to see if it uses 2 or more brushes and give it a good service. The brushes may still be within specs. Also check the commutator as that may be burned.
    You will never know if someone has swopped out a starter in the past and its best to check the parts before ordering.

Comment

As noted, the commutator will almost certainly need refreshing.

This can often be done with fine sandpaper.
      Remember to clean it VERY thoroughly when finished.

While not recommended, if the commutator is badly scored and/or distorted you may be able to mount it in a drill press and clean it up using using a flat-face file. Make sure you use a fine-cut file only. NEVER a coarse one.

If you do this be VERY careful as the file must not touch the armature windings even once.

An alternate source for parts www.stockers.com

I bought the complete plate to avoid the hassle of soldering.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

This is great: I get an answer from South Africa and from Canada.

So I should look to see what brand of starter I have.

I see on the Stocker site that they list GS1100 twice, One points me to a "Mit" 4 brush, and the other points to a "ND" 2 brush. (both CCW, 9 teeth).

So I should, at a minimum, take off the starter cover and see wether I can see a NipponDenso or a Mitsuba name plate.

Seems that the Stocker rebuild kits may still require soldering, looks like the brushes are seperate from the ring, or maybe I cant see what is brushes and what are other things I am ignorant of:

Oh, this one has replacement bearings and such. I probably dont need that, its not growling or any thing like that.

Maybe this one is more like what I would concider (after determine if Mitsuba or ND):
        Last edited by Redman; 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X