On my way to replace the front tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my way to replace the front tire

Today I got my tube in for the front tire & made the call to see if I could get the guys to put the tube & tire on, told me to come on, so I put the tube & forkseals in the backpack & hit the interstate.

I was about 18miles from the house, when I started to hear one of the plugs start to miss & then other, I went from 65mph down to 50 & so on until & ended up on the shoulder of the hwy.

I can only think of 2 things that might be going on at this time, 1) something overheating & cauing the the bike to shut down little by little , or 2) the charging system isn't working like it's suppose to be.

Question

What is the charging system suppose to be on the GS1000 13-14Vdc ?

What might be overheating ( if anything ) that would cause the plugs to " shut down " 1 by 1.

Now I've already replaced battery & fuse block.

Any clues or ideals about this.

How do the plugs look?

Comment

I just pulled the lugs alittle bit ago & they are in the " good to best " range for firing. ( from reading another thread in the forum here )

I just started the bike after having it sit on the trickle charger & it's missing on 2 plugs now, so now I'm even more at a loss for words than before.

Comment

Which cylinders went Tango Uniform? If it's 1-2 or 3-4, I'd suspect the coil on the dead side.

Comment

I doubt that overheating is your problem, Its near impossible to over heat an aircooled engine when its cruising down the highway. I think most probable is an electrical problem. WHICH TWO PLUGS ARE MISSING? Confirm which plugs are missing by disconnecting them and checking if the bike runs the same or close to the same rpm without them. Electrically, matched pairs are 1,4 and 2,3. If your missing cylinders are 1 and 4, it is one side of your ignition, if the missing cylinders are 2 and 3, it is the other side of the ignition. If you just took the bike off the trickle charger and it is still missing, it is not a charging problem. What was your battery voltage when you took the battery off the charger?

Earl

Originally posted by Mt_Dew
          I just pulled the lugs alittle bit ago & they are in the " good to best " range for firing. ( from reading another thread in the forum here )

I just started the bike after having it sit on the trickle charger & it's missing on 2 plugs now, so now I'm even more at a loss for words than before.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The battery is at 12.01-12.02, & the trickle charger is showing it's charged ( green light ). I always thought a " good " battery would show around 12.5 if it had a full charge. ( that battery is less than 2 months old )

I just tried to fire the bike back up & it hit on all 4. & looked up what the gap is for the plugs ( .032 ) NKG plugs that are in it.

I'm still doing alot of reading here in the forum & just printed out the papers for checking the charging system " fault free " .

I try not to ask too many questions & do alot of reading because I know somewhere an answer is posted on the net.

Comment

I find that my bike batteries fresh off the charger indicate between 12 and about 12.5 volts usually. I think yours is pretty much the average....maybe slightly low due to not enough charging time.

Since the bike with a fresh battery runs on all four, I have to agree with you that the problem is likely in the stator output, or the regulator/rectifier and those are the things I would check too.

Dont hesitate to post questions. There are over 1000 people on this group and its a pretty good bet someone will have an answer no matter what the question.

Earl

The battery is at 12.01-12.02, & the trickle charger is showing it's charged ( green light ). I always thought a " good " battery would show around 12.5 if it had a full charge. ( that battery is less than 2 months old )

I just tried to fire the bike back up & it hit on all 4. & looked up what the gap is for the plugs ( .032 ) NKG plugs that are in it.

I'm still doing alot of reading here in the forum & just printed out the papers for checking the charging system " fault free " .

I try not to ask too many questions & do alot of reading because I know somewhere an answer is posted on the net.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

earlfor

I just fired it up & used a mulimeter on the battery, I had it set at 2500rpm & the battery showed an increase little by little starting at 12.02 & slowly going up in volts & I shut the bike back down when I got to 12.15Vdc.

It took about 5 mins to go from 12.02 to 12.15 @ 2500rpm. :roll: , go figure, it looks like it's charging , just from what I can see, but I'll dig alittle more into it tomorrow when it's not so late & see if I can find a bad connection or anything else that might be causing a problem.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: earlfor

At aproximately 3500 rpm, my 750 charges at 14 volts and my 1150 charges at 13.8 The both reach the charge rate within a few seconds of the throttle being increased, There is no "waiting" time. Its looking like the R/R may be the problem. I would recheck at a higher rpm. You should only need to run it at a high rpm for a few seconds to get a reading. It should be at least 13.5

Earl

I just fired it up & used a mulimeter on the battery, I had it set at 2500rpm & the battery showed an increase little by little starting at 12.02 & slowly going up in volts & I shut the bike back down when I got to 12.15Vdc.

It took about 5 mins to go from 12.02 to 12.15 @ 2500rpm. :roll: , go figure, it looks like it's charging , just from what I can see, but I'll dig alittle more into it tomorrow when it's not so late & see if I can find a bad connection or anything else that might be causing a problem.

Thanks again.

Comment

Earl is correct. As soon as you get above idle the voltage across the battery should go up to the 13 - 14.5 range. A dud battery can do this, as will a regulator/rectifier not working. Electronic ignitions do not like low voltages past a limit.

Try following the stator papers guide, it is the best around to logically go through these problems.

Comment

Well, I whipped out the old c/c & should have another r/r sittting here Friday along with the service book next week.

Oh well, If I want to play , guess I need to pay to keep it going.

I also went thru the plug gaps & found that they were off & re-set them while I was at it. Guess I'll be using the truck to take the front tube & tire put on the rim & since I have the front tire off , I'll be placing the fork seals while I'm at it & that should square the bike away for the time being. ( I HOPE :roll: )

Comment

Working...
                      X