X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 shaftdrive wheel

hello all

i got a question on my gs850.
    is there any wheel that will fit in the rear ?
    so my alloy wheel goes out and i want a spoke wheel in there.
    if any1 knows what kind of spokewheel fits in the rear instead of the shaftdriven alloy wheel.

wally

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure a spoked wheel isn't an option unless You custom make something.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

How did your rear wheel "go out"?

Or is this just a hypothetical question?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        How did your rear wheel "go out"?

Or is this just a hypothetical question?

no i meand i take my alloy wheel out of there and put a spoke wheel in there.
        i thought mabey some1 would know if a suzuki vs xxx rear wheel would fit in there.

wally

Comment

Originally posted by xxxWALLYxxx View Post
          hello all

if any1 knows what kind of spokewheel fits in the rear instead of the shaftdriven alloy wheel.

wally
          That's a yes and a no.......

The early Intruder 800 / 1400 wheel will fit.......but....

It's 16" and has a drum brake. That's about as close as your going to get.
          All of Suzuki's differentials are the same size and spline as far as mounting the wheel goes. But I don't think they made any wire wheels with disc brakes.

It should be possible to get a drum brake foot leaver from a an early GS750 and fit it to the 850 but you might need a custom length actuator rod. You'll also need to weld on a drum strut mount to hold the backing plate from turning. It might look cool but I don't think the trade-off in braking perfomance is worth it when it coms to stopping safety.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
            All of Suzuki's differentials are the same size and spline as far as mounting the wheel goes.
            Close, but not quite totally true.

I know for a fact that the 650 final drive is different (smaller).
            I have a sneaking suspicion that the rare 450GLA might use that smaller drive, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by xxxWALLYxxx View Post
              hello all

wally
              Then again the entire swing arm might swapout from an early intruder??? But how far do you want to go to giterdone??????

Comment

Just leave the damn thing alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Always some yoyo trying to do weird things to these great bikes.

Alloy wheel going out -- ridiculous! 23 years and a quarter-million miles on GS shafties, and never a wheel failure, nor have I ever heard of one.

Just ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Close, but not quite totally true.

I know for a fact that the 650 final drive is different (smaller).
                  I have a sneaking suspicion that the rare 450GLA might use that smaller drive, too.

That's because the 650 shafty was manufactured by a subcontractor who used their part sources. It's not actually a Suzuki engineered part.

But you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post

Alloy wheel going out -- ridiculous! 23 years and a quarter-million miles on GS shafties, and never a wheel failure, nor have I ever heard of one.

Just ride.

You said what i was thinking. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
                      That's because the 650 shafty was manufactured by a subcontractor who used their part sources. It's not actually a Suzuki engineered part.

But you are right.
                      Subcontractor? Never heard about this. Please share the source of this information.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just ride.
                        Dittos.

If you just HAVE to dick around with the wheel, paint it, powdercoat it, glue on beads, or something like that. Go nuts, have fun.

But there's no spoked wheel that will fit, and I can't even begin to comprehend why you'd want to step back in time like that.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post
                          You said what i was thinking. Thank you.
                          Thank you, Jon Burke. It takes an old SOB curmudgeon like me to tell these knuckleheads off and set them straight.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            If you just HAVE to dick around with the wheel, ... , glue on beads, or something like that.
                            hey brian, you just may have given me an idea for a winter project - those self-adhesive glittery fluorescent little stars would be great on my wheels ... lol
                            GS850GT

Comment

Thank you, Jon Burke. It takes an old SOB curmudgeon like me to tell these knuckleheads off and set them straight.
                              well this knucklehead has chopped his gs850 and i really hate standard bikes.(imo)
                              so if you dont have any good ideas for this question dont reply.
                              im not here on this forum to be told what to do with my own bike

well here is what i mean

Comment

Working...
                              X