No announcement yet.

gs850 shaftdrive wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you asked a legit question in the wrong place. Most everybody here is dedicated to keeping their bikes fairly 'standard' because the 'standard' GS is so good. A wire wheel on a shaft drive 850 just doesn't seem right to most of us.

But that doesn't make you a knucklehead.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

You may be able to adapt a Madura 1200 wheel. It has flattened spokes and I believe the shaft drive will bolt right up. The 1200 has a rear disk brake, not sure how it will line up. More than likely will need some bushings, spacers to make fit.

The 700 Madura is similar to Intruder, drum rear brake. It may be difficult to find a decent Madura rim, they rusted quickly. Best bet is find someone who has one that would like to trade for cast rims. Both are 16" rims. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxWALLYxxx View Post
        well this knucklehead has chopped his gs850 and i really hate standard bikes.(imo)
        so if you dont have any good ideas for this question dont reply.
        im not here on this forum to be told what to do with my own bike
        As far as I'm concerned, feel free to waste all your time and money on a spoked wheel for your 850.

I'll reply to anything I want, just as you'll throw any time and money you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
          Just leave the damn thing alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Always some yoyo trying to do weird things to these great bikes.

Alloy wheel going out -- ridiculous! 23 years and a quarter-million miles on GS shafties, and never a wheel failure, nor have I ever heard of one.

Just ride.

I am a new member here so I have little room to disagree, but I will for the benefit of those who want ot customize their motorcycles. He never said the wheel failed but stated that he wanted to switch wheels for a better look. I agree that these machines are incredible, that is why I bought one, but you can't blame someone for wanting to make changes to better fit their personality or taste. I thought this was part of the reason to join a forum site...to gain a deeper appreciatation for these great machines by gaining insight from the senior members.

So, please act with respect, because someone may treat you the same when asking questions, and you would be offended if treated the way you treated him. Being a member of various forum sites, it is always dissapointing when a senior member has to act so childish. I am thankful to the members who read and respond to questions in a decent and mature matter; if you don't think it is a good idea, then don't respond. For myself I love bikes with spoked rims and would love to get one for my bike. So please don't make further responses to those who are here for help, it would make this site so much better.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, feel free to waste all your time and money on a spoked wheel for your 850.

I'll reply to anything I want, just as you'll throw any time and money you want.

Grandpa...who do you think you are to speak to people in such a manner. The more I have read your posts about this topic the more I feel you are a crass old man with nothing better to do than to crush the ideas of those around you. I feel bad that you don't have the creativity or the ability to do such a mod. I feel sorry for you that you don't have the same free spirit as those old timer cafe racers in Europe and the bobbers from WWII. They would probably tell you to shut the hell up and mind your own business. But, like I said earlier, if you don't think it's a good idea then only make responses to that which you do care about.

Comment

bothebrave, you're laughable.

Thank you for all your compliments.

I'm going to quote from my own post: "As far as I'm concerned, feel free to waste all your time and money on a spoked wheel for your 850."

I'm sad this guy wants to waste his money. I consider it my duty to tell him my opinion of his project.

I will continue doing just that, regardless of what you say or what you think of me. Call me all the names you want. I still think this guy is wrong, and so are you.

I'm out of this thread. Again, I don't give a damn what you think of me.

By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks this way about this silly wheel project of his. It's just that I'm one who forcefully states what others don't have the willingness to state.

Comment

Originally posted by bothebrave View Post
                Grandpa...who do you think you are to speak to people in such a manner. The more I have read your posts about this topic the more I feel you are a crass old man with nothing better to do than to crush the ideas of those around you. I feel bad that you don't have the creativity or the ability to do such a mod. I feel sorry for you that you don't have the same free spirit as those old timer cafe racers in Europe and the bobbers from WWII. They would probably tell you to shut the hell up and mind your own business. But, like I said earlier, if you don't think it's a good idea then only make responses to that which you do care about.
                Once you've been around here for a while, if you decide to stay, you will learn that Grandpa's bark is worse than his bite. I think of him as Grumpy Grandpa but love him just the same. You have taken the bait so to speak; please try to be more thick skinned.

I'm an engineer and typically judge mods mostly by their functionality. Judged that way, a spoke rear wheel for a shaft drive bike is silly. I also think "bobbers" and "choppers" are silly as well since they are all about Looks, and typically are a huge step backwards in terms of functionality. To each their own though. There is a super cool looking bobber in the Appearance Mods forum - thread posted a couple weeks back. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=131517 A serious amount of the frame structure was removed as was the rear suspension and front brake. Bike looks cool but is downright dangerous. No F'ing way I'd ride that POS, but again...it looks cool. Stupid...but cool. Better shut up now, starting to sound like Grandpa myself.
                Last edited by Nessism; 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Once you've been around here for a while, if you decide to stay, you will learn that Grandpa's bark is worse than his bite. I think of him as Grumpy Grandpa but love him just the same. You have taken the bait so to speak; please try to be more thickskined.

I'm an engineer and typically judge mods mostly by their functionality. Judged that way, a spoke rear wheel for a shaft drive bike is silly. I also think "bobbers" and "choppers" are silly as well since they are all about Looks, and typically are a huge step backwards in terms of functionality. To each their own though. There is a super cool looking bobber in the Appearance Mods forum - thread posted a couple weeks back. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=131517 A serious amount of the frame structure was removed as was the rear suspension and front brake. Bike looks cool but is downright dangerous. No F'ing way I'd ride that POS, but again...it looks cool. Stupid...but cool. Better shut up now, starting to sound like Grandpa myself.

I can appreciate your objection to the modification for the simple fact that you didn't downgrade him or the idea but came with a concern and spoke as such. As for grandpa, I am a very thick skinned person, which is why I defend those that people like grandpa feel it necesarry to negate. I will always defend those who are assaulted by people like grandpa. There is no excuse for his behavior and no excuse for the other senior members to put up with it. He may be a friend, but is people like him who chse away good people from sites such as this. Nobody benefits from tyrants and I am appaled that people have put up with it for so long. I will stick around because I have been warmly wlecomed by other senior members and will not allow for 1 bad apple to ruin the bunch.

Comment

gs850 shaftdrive wheel

Check out a 1986 madura 1200 glg wheel.D'ont know if it will fit ,but it has spokes and a disk brake.

Comment

bothebrave, you're laughable.

Thank you for all your compliments.

I'm going to quote from my own post: "As far as I'm concerned, feel free to waste all your time and money on a spoked wheel for your 850."

I'm sad this guy wants to waste his money. I consider it my duty to tell him my opinion of his project.

I will continue doing just that, regardless of what you say or what you think of me. Call me all the names you want. I still think this guy is wrong, and so are you.

I'm out of this thread. Again, I don't give a damn what you think of me.

By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks this way about this silly wheel project of his. It's just that I'm one who forcefully states what others don't have the willingness to state.
                      first of all he dont drive any gs so what you doing here anyway coes in your signature it says yamaha so whats that a wannabe harley thats no motor that is a tupperware basket on wheels

Comment

well this knucklehead has chopped his gs850 and i really hate standard bikes.(imo)
                        so if you dont have any good ideas for this question dont reply.
                        im not here on this forum to be told what to do with my own bike
                        RIGHT!! It's your bike, so do as you damn well pleases! And dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. (And by the way, I hate standard bikes as well)

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                        Most everybody here is dedicated to keeping their bikes fairly 'standard' because the 'standard' GS is so good.
                        What's so good about GS Bikes? The only thing really good about them is the bulletproof bottom end. Apart from that thy're nothing better than other bikes 30 years old. Just look at the Tech Info on this forum. Problems with carbs, ignition, electrics, problems problems problems.
                        Don't misunderstand me, i really love my GS, and enjoying myself to no ends on it, but they aint exactly a rare species.
                        So ride them, rebuilt them, improve them or make them better looking, just whatever you like.
                        Ed

Comment

dank je wel ed

i see there more dutch ppl here
                          and if there werent any ppl like us we would all have the same bike now aint that boring

Comment

dank je wel ed

i see there more dutch ppl here
                            and if there werent any ppl like us we would all have the same bike now aint that boring

I may not be dutch, but hell, what's the point in owning a bike if you can't make the proper changes! Who the hell do people think they are to jump your **** about an idea to change your bike that they don't agree with. Just don't let old soiled pants grandpa ruin your fun!

Comment

first of all he dont drive any gs so what you doing here anyway coes in your signature it says yamaha so whats that a wannabe harley thats no motor that is a tupperware basket on wheels
                              Wally, you are about to alienate the entire board with remarks like that.

Grandpa just sold his 1100GK, and if you bother to look up any of his posts, including one in this thread, you will find that he is VERY knowledgeable on GS bikes and is a wealth of information, which he is very willing to share. He has been posting to this board a LOT longer than you have, with your (so far) 13 posts since August, 2008.

Yes, he has bought a different brand of bike, but that does not erase his memory. And, if you knew anything about any other brand of bike (and based on some of your questions, I'm not so sure you know anything about what you are riding now), you would know that the engine that is hiding under the Tupperware on his bike is no "Harley wanna-be". It is the very heart of the mighty V-Max that is giving the Hayabusa and the Ninja 14 fits in the horsepower competition department, and has been at, or near, the top of the horsepower heap for the 23 years it has been in existence.

Your original question has been answered, there is only a slight chance that a Madura or Intruder wheel might fit, and probably with adaptations necessary for drum brakes. Your intent to chop a popular bike sends shivers down many of our spines. Obviously it is not to everybody's taste, but you are certainly welcome to do it to your own bike. There is just no need to berate anybody just because they did not post what you wanted to hear.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                There is just no need to berate anybody just because they did not post what you wanted to hear.

This thread has gone on too long...so shame on me for extending it.

If you go back in this thread to the first page, it was Grandpa that started the name calling and berating other people. He is free to post his opinion but he should not have called these guys "yoyo's and "knuckleheads". This is what started this thread going downhill. Now that Grandpa has dropped out of this thread, it's time for the newbies to move on to another thread unless there is anything else to say about the rear wheel topic at hand. Grandpa may be crusty at times, but he has proven his worth around here a time or two so let's not beat a dead horse.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X