gs1150 carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1150 carb issues

Hey everyone.. I have an 1986 Gs1150e and am getting the carbs rebuilt but ran into an issue with the bowl gaskets and the needle and seats. The guy I have helping me told me that the seats in my carbs are pressed in seats so all i need to replace is the needles but the ones I have to replace them are not the pressed in kind he said also that the bowl gaskets I got are way too small... are there 2 different kinds of carbs on these bikes?? am I looking somthing up wrong?? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

not sure which needl seats you're talking about, but both the needle valve seats (located under the float "tang"), and the jet needle seats (long pointy things attached to the slides) can be removed.

Make sure you dis-assemble all the carb parts and replace the internal o-rings, Replace the intake boot o-rings as well.

good luck
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Herte's a list of resource sites that one of our members, Steve, had posted a few days ago - nice list.

You can find an OEM parts fiche for your bike at most of these places, then you can see how things go together as well as the OEM p/n.

The carb o-rings can be gotten from mr robert barr here:

Alpha Sports

Babbittsonline

Bike Bandit

Carolina Cycle

CYCLE-RE-CYCLE

Flatout Motorcycle parts

Full throttle

Motogrid

MR Cycles

Partsnmore

Ron Ayers

Stainless screw kits

Stainless screw supply

Z1 Enterprises
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Stuck Seats???

So do you think the seats could just be stuck in there??? I got a needle and seat kit from this place online along with the bowl gaskets.. here is the link
        This website is for sale! carbkitscapital.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, carbkitscapital.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

do these look like the right parts to you?? and not to your knowlege did they make 2 different types of carbs for this year of bike... we are just kinda stuck right now... thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by TODD CUPERY View Post
          So do you think the seats could just be stuck in there???
          Yes, soak them with some PB blaster for awhile, then grab them with a pair pliers (gentle, if you might reuse) & twist them around to break them free. they should pull right out.

Originally posted by TODD CUPERY View Post
          do these look like the right parts to you?? and not to your knowlege did they make 2 different types of carbs for this year of bike... we are just kinda stuck right now... thanks again
          Go to the motogrid site & pull up that bike's carb page. I noticed several flavors of 1150 E bikes. I believe the "F" carbs were for CA. Once you're looking at the correct image, you will see all your parts & OEM part numbers - compare the bowl gasket numbers with your kit's advertised OEM p/n.

Good luck
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

carb help...

thanks for the help... the guy helping me out is suppose to bring me the bowl and let me see what they look like... but the way the fiche looks to me they shoudl be the right bowl gaskets unless the carb place sent me the wrong parts.. but according to the pics they sure look right... we will wait and see what it looks like when he brings it in... let me know anything else you can help me out with with this.. thanks

Comment

Unless someone did a carb swap those parts should work. The different models use the same basic carbs with possibly different jetting

Comment

keep us informed of your progress. tell us about your bike; model, miles, mods if any, pics are nice.

keep at it
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

It sounds to me like the guy doing your carbs doesn't really know what he's doing. The needle & seat assembly is held in place with a screw. After you remove the screw, an O ring is around the needle housing & makes it seal in place. In almost all the carbs I've done, it has been this O ring that leaks, NOT the needles. If he doesn't know how to get the needle and seat assembly out how good or experienced can he be with carbs? Good luck! I CAN see the supplier shipping the wrong bowl gaskets but just so you know, there are MANY Suzukis with Mikunis that all use the SAME float bowl gaskets. Ray.

Comment

my suzuki

my gs is an 86 gs1150e (its the blue and white paint scheme) that was bought brand new by my older brother in late 85 and he died in a car accident in late 88 and no one else wanted the bike so when I got my drivers license in 1990 the bike was given to me with about 500 miles on it. It was the bike I drove in high school and even took my cycle test on it to get my cycle endorsement so to me its worth alot... this is only the 2nd major thing that has had to be done to it.. I work at a Kawasaki dealership and have a mechanic here working on it on the side. The only other thing done to it was the cylinder base gaskets leaked for awhile and had to get the top end taken down to get down to those gaskets. so this is where I am at right now with it.. he put clutch plates in it for me and soaked the carbs to get them back up to speed.. I am thinking I should have tackled it myself but didnt never did it but now I am sure I could have, especially with the help of this forum. Thanks for everything guys... I will try to get some pics up of the bike for everyone soon!!!!

Comment

correct parts!!!!! yeah

well the guy helping me out came to me this afternoon and told me that he had to of them ripped apart and was not thinking straight and looked at the wrong set of carbs... so they are correct hopefully it will go well this weekend and he will finish it up and bring it up to the shop where we work and put the tires on it and we will be ready to roll... Thanks to everyone for the help everyone!!!

Comment

Make sure he pulls the mixture screws out & replaces that little o-ring on the end. He will have to remove the factory installed alum plugs that are pressed in to get to them.

Hopefully he's an ol'timer & has worked on carbs - since pretty much all these dealer mechcanics see now is fuel injection.

Do it yourself next time & both learn & do it better.

Make sure you replace the intake boot o-rings...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

There are NO intake boot O rings on a 16 valve GS1100 or 1150, just so you know. It sounds like it will all work out for you now. At least, I hope so. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            There are NO intake boot O rings on a 16 valve GS1100 or 1150, just so you know. It sounds like it will all work out for you now. At least, I hope so. Ray.
                            Didn't know that - thanks.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                            X