Engine rattle-ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine rattle-ish

Hey fella's, I've been working on my 1980 GS850 for about 5 months now and I've cleaned the carbs, gotten new air intake boots/seals, filters, oil change and tune up, battery and have reconected the head lights and installed turn signals. I took it to a mechanic who said the bike looks like it had been set up for the drag strip and every thing seemed to be in exceptional mechanical order. (my bike looks like it's survived WW3 as far as paint and cosmetics) My question is this, I've pretty much just started riding it and I can hear a separate noise (from the engine) that sounded like a wheel with copper brushes just spinning and the copper brushes were rubbing against something. I thought that it might be the stator, but the last time I rode the bike the noise seemed to be a bit more loud and chain-like, it also seemed to becoming from behind the headers.. Any ideas? (I'm sorry for the vague descriptions but it's the best I can do to explain the noise)

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Might be the cam chain. Those tensioners can back up and let the chain make noise. Take the jam screw and nut out of the tensioner, turn the motor over slowly (or have someone else do it if its on the wrong side) and watch inside the hole for the farthest in the plunger goes and lock it up there with the jam screw and snug the nut. Ride it and see if the noise is gone. If so you can leave it as is you'll just have to adjust it every now and then by redoing the procedure. That or replace the tensioner.

Comment

So I need to Take the motor out of my bike to get to the cam-chain?

Comment

No, it may be the cam chain tensioner backing up and letting the cam chain have too much slack and that might be what your hearing. The nut and screw (jam screw) are numbers 17 & 19 below.

Comment

Excellent. I'll print this out and compare it to my bike manual so I can check this out. Thank you, I'll let you know what I find out.

Comment

It's VERY common to find that clueless mechanics have tightened cam chain tensioner set screws all the way instead of leaving them 1/2 turn out so the tensioner pushrod can move.

Instructions for installing new seals and resetting here:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wow! That really helps alot! Thank you. I'll set to work on it Monday and let y'all know how it goes.

Comment

bwringer makes a good point. The tensioner could be locked up now, the last guy might have tightened the jam screw and left it that way. If the jam screw is tight after you loosen the nut, loosen the jam screw and give it half a turn back or so and tighten the nut. Start the engine and see if the noise is gone. This way the tensioner can act automaticly as it was designed to do.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

If that's not it the GS line have very noisy clutch baskets.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have an 81 gs450 that i keep hearing the same noise i think, i have misplaced my manual for the thing at the moment though. Im assuming that this is the same problem as above, but do i fix it the same way? or are the 450's different?

Comment

Working...
                      X