Idling rpm's all over the place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling rpm's all over the place

My idle won't hold steady rpm's and needs a constant blip of the throttle to stop it from dying at idle. When I do this but, it goes up to about 2000rpm's for a sec or two before dropping back to less than 1000rpm's and then falling away to stall. Its a GSX750SE and am thinking it's an air leak maybe. All the boots are snug and tight with nothing visible being wrong. I've been playing around with the mixture screws and at the moment seems best at 2 turns out. Any help or advice would be welcome, cause it's making city riding a nightmare.

Get a can of carb cleaner or WD40 and spray the carb boots. If you get a change in RPM then you have a leak.

When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

Also check your throttle cable, if it is binding or not adjusted properly the engine RPM's will be all over the place.

Comment

Sprayed WD40 onto the carb inlets and no change in rpm's. Have cleaned carbs 500 miles ago so should be okay. I've just taken the air filter out to see if that makes a difference, so will give it a run. Plugs all look okay as well.

Comment

Is it the sixteen valve?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeh Chef, it's a 16valve motor, and I only did the valve clearances last month. I know its not much, but its bloody annoying. Little bit of a miss at low revs (2000rpm) as well, so I'm thinking its a mix problem. Its good this site for new ideas when tracing similar probs.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Is it the sixteen valve?
            hey chef, a gsX always indicates a 16v engine - as marketed outside the usa
            GS850GT

Comment

I didn't know that either actually...

Comment

for me it was actually the other way around...
                i never knew that the usa 16v models were NOT called gsX until i joined this forum - lol
                europe, the uk, and "down under" - all have the gsx denomination

oh, btw, id say you have a very lean condition and/or an intake leak
                GS850GT

Comment

get your idle mixture screws right. They are too lean.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Dirty pilot air jets, pilot jets, idle mixture screw o-ring bad or maladjusted.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks for the replies on this one. Mixture screws std at 2 and 1/4 turns out,so to richen it out do I turn it out??

Comment

Yes, out to richen.

Comment

Thanks again chef, hard when you look at life from upside down hehehehe.

Rob.

Comment

Depends on where you're at when viewing it.

Comment

Is this the Pop Up headlight GSX 750 SE (otherwise known as a Katana 2)?

Comment

Working...
                              X