No announcement yet.

Idling rpm's all over the place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Smokin, yep it's the Katana 750 with the pop up headlight which is another story in itself. Has a mind of its own sometimes...

Comment

I'm having much the same issues with mine. It's a Jap spec, meaning it's "detuned" to 77 HP max. All original and complete, however my exhaust pipes are rattling something fierce. I've been fighting carb issues all summer long and am about to just throw some pods and a pipe on, then rejet for that. Gets lots of looks, though.

My 82 Katana is in pieces right now, getting a repaint and gasket set. Somedays I hate my motorcycles - they cause me too much grief. But when they run good, oh man there's nothing else like it!

Good luck with yours.
      Shin-Ken is also a Katana guy, as is Katman and I think Giablo.

Have you contacted www.katanacentral.co.uk ? There is a forum there with some helpful information as well, but not nearly as good as the GSR.

Comment

Hi there Smokin,

great bikes and the 1000 katana is quite rare over here and is much sought after. Good examples of the Katana 1100 are around AUS$5000-8000. The pop up is my second and the easiest to ride as in comfort, just that damn headlight crap bugs me about it.

Rob.

Comment

plug color ?

whats the plug color ? should be tan or dark brown.

blackish - too rich
          whitish - too lean...

you should get a good idea on the mixture based on this...best is to use a colortune plug to get the correct setting.

- A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.
          If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm drops below the set idle speed, then rises up to the set idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in, to lean the idle mixture.
          - A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
          If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!

hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X