Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging issue

Am going to buy a decent test meter tomorrow to begin working my way through the stator papers, however, I had a quick question. Is the regulator rectifier supposed to get wicked hot when the bike is running? I can't even touch mine and I was wondering if this was the norm or an indication of a problem with the regulator.

a hot rr is both the norm AND the problem - as it may lead to a failure
    the heat sink is undersized on suzuki units and their location out of fresh airflow is a prob on some models too
    but an overly-hot rr may also be a sign that it may be on its way out - so do test it to know for sure
    poor electrical connections contribute to heating as well
    Last edited by psyguy; 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM.
    GS850GT

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why they had it tucked up underneath like that. Seems a bit cheesy. I'll check connections tomorrow and hope that is it. I don't feel like dumping money into a stator or a regulator but I'll gladly take the lesser of the two evils.

Comment

a popular upgrade is a (used) honda rr
        some people built additional heatsink or relocated the unit so it gets more airflow
        GS850GT

Comment

I have a suski 1985 gs 700. Do you know what honda RR I may need?

Comment

send a pm to "duaneage" on the forum here
            he should be able to sort you out
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Ickaruz View Post
              I have a suski 1985 gs 700. Do you know what honda RR I may need?
              If it were my bike and I was going to substitute a R/R from another bike, I would go with one from a KZ750 four cylinder. They're better designed and fail less than 1 in 4 when compared to the same Suzuki part.

You would connect it as follows.

Kaw - Suz
              Yellow - yellow
              black - black
              red - red
              brown - orange

Or you could buy a new aftermarket one...

Tony

Comment

Try the RR ground wire right to the negative battery post. It should shunt more current and make the RR run cooler.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X