rpms change when i turn handlebars!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpms change when i turn handlebars!!!

by like 500-1000 rpms and only to the right(in the driveway, i haven't turned hard enough while rolling to know if it does it then, but i would assume so. heres what ive done, it is an 85 gs550L with stuck fuel screws on the carbs, so i ordered a set of carbs off of ebay which came off of an 85 550e. cleaned them dipped them and replaced orings and put them on, they have an extra vaccuum port on each carb barrel, which i capped with a plastic plug, (other than that they re identical, the originals even had the factory capped place where the vaccuum port should be (before the problem was that it would stall at stop lights but i couldn't completely rebuild them because the screws were stuck). it started up and ran well but a little high (fuel screws 2 turns out idle screw all the way out 1300 rpm idle. and took a little extra time to come down from 3-4000 rpm when rolling). my thought is that there is an electrical problem in the headlight/gauges but how should i look for it? or am i way off? thanks for the insight...also i have done valves, new battery new electrosport r/r and new junkyard igniter. p.s. based on my search these are the original handlebars i have done nothing with them
    thanks

niko
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2008, 11:29 PM.

You'll probably find you just need to adjust the cable stop on top of the carbs.

The action of turning the bars is pulling on the cable & giving the bike gas.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Since you had the carbs off, I would also assume you pulled the tank. Make sure the throttle cable is in the right location, also. If it is routed wrong it will get stuck and pull on the inner cable when you turn the handle bars and raise the engine speed like your talking about. A quick check is to lift the tank off the perches and see if it still happens.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        The action of turning the bars is pulling on the cable & giving the bike gas.
        i'll second that
        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
        X