82 GS850GL Gas in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL Gas in oil

Been working on the bike off & on....cash flow issues. Changed the oil & filter & noticed a fuel smell. I have dipped the carbs and have had the tank off several times and the petcock isn't leaking. I'm thinking floats are off as I've changed all the O rings and don't think it's a needle valve, but I did not measure the floats. Going to do the valve adjust next weekend. Hopefully she'll run for more than 10 min's before bogging down.

If it's not the petcock, float needle and seat or o-ring you must be running so rich or the ignition is so weak you are washing out your cylinders with gas. Ever have gas come out the exhaust?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had a similar problem after rebuilding the carbs on my 750L. I got quite a lot of gas in my crankcase (between a pint and a quart) and the oil had a strong odor of gasoline. It was definitely the floats being out of adjustment, and the problem went away after I had them all set correctly.

I'm telling myself that the gas in the crankcase was actually good for the bike, since it had been sitting for 12 years. It was just the thing to free up the rings and wash out the sludge. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Seriously, though, the bike was never ridden with the contaminated oil, so I don't think any harm came to it.

Comment

you want your floats set accurately anyway so thats what id look at first
        GS850GT

Comment

No gas out of the exhaust..carbs will be off once again...getting real good at that....where is the best place to get intake and airbox boots? mine look good but I may as well replace them as they are not as pliable as I'd like...speaking of airbox's should I put a set of K&N pod's? any performance boost or does it just look a bit cooler?

Comment

You had the carbs off, had them apart far enough to dip them and did not adjust the floats when you put the back together? Shame on you.

New boots can be had through any of the popular on-line stores. My list includes:
            Alpha Sports
            Babbittsonline
            Bike Bandit
            Carolina Cycle
            CYCLE-RE-CYCLE
            Flatout Motorcycle parts
            Full throttle
            Motogrid
            MR Cycles
            Partsnmore
            Ron Ayers
            Stainless screw kits
            Stainless screw supply
            Z1 Enterprises

Not all of those links will get you air boots, but you might find them useful of other stuff.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve....another shortcut biting me in the ass......let this be a lesson to all you new guys....don't be like me...no shortcutting...do it right the first time

Comment

Working...
              X