Yamaha headlight on my bike? WTF PO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha headlight on my bike? WTF PO?

Why would someone put a yamaha headlight and bucket on my bike. Sealed beam even? What the heck. Not only that, but the wiring is f*cked. There are wire nuts, disconnected wires, etc and none of the wires are in the bucket, they are all outside the bucket taped inside of plastic. Who thinks that is a good idea. Well, i'm going to have to get in there and figure some things out.

What I am going to do is get a new bucket/light (pm me if you have one for me), put all the wires in there, make it look neat, and maybe fix my auto-canceling problem. Also, has anyone turned their turn signals into running lights? I think I might when I upgrade my lights to LED units.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
    What I am going to do is get a new bucket/light (pm me if you have one for me),
    i have a kwak unit that would fit if you want it
    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
      Also, has anyone turned their turn signals into running lights? I think I might when I upgrade my lights to LED units.

Thanks.
      If you do decide to go with the lights from where i got mine, running lights are as easy as hooking up the spare wire on the lights to a 12V switched source.

One wire, easy as it gets.

Comment

My GS850G is wearing a new chrome headlight bucket from CRC2:
        CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Second item on this frame, $64.95:

It's well worth the money to avoid farting around with cracked, rusty used parts. You'll also need a 7" headlight bulb, which is around $30 on this page.

There's plenty of room in there for the wiring -- more room than the OEM bucket, in fact.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hmmm, looks pretty close to stock. I'm going to check around for a while to see if I can get an OEM one (used) but if not, that is a great alternative.

Groundshock, that is what I was thinking. Thanks!

Comment

Groundshock, did you use a standard headlight on your bike?

Comment

If you want the look I had, get a headlight and ears from a 1000/1100 L-model.

All chrome, but you can't use the 750 version cause the fork tubes are smaller.

Then you just put the new crystal light in that bucket.

Let me know what you get, i'll walk you through it.

Comment

One thing you might want to consider is installing the monster 8" headlight off a GS700/1100/1150E model.

I replaced the sqaure unit on my GS750E with one. I think it looks better. It's certainly brighter, particularly during the day to oncoming motorists. It still retains the "OEM, period correct" look as well.

Before:

After:
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
                  Then you just put the new crystal light in that bucket.
                  groundshock, where did you get it from? i'm looking for one
                  GS850GT

Comment

and the 8" light is under 10 bucks at any autoparts store. same light as many cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X