jumping GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jumping GS

I have been restoring an 82 GS1100E for awhile now. I have a problem with the front tire bouncing at all speeds. I have rebuilt forks with the recomendened fluid levels, replaced both drive sprockets and chain, replaced wheel and tires and balanced, yet I am still getting front end bounce. Could it have to do with anti-dive unit?

Originally posted by uscwks View Post
    I have been restoring an 82 GS1100E for awhile now. I have a problem with the front tire bouncing at all speeds. I have rebuilt forks with the recomendened fluid levels, replaced both drive sprockets and chain, replaced wheel and tires and balanced, yet I am still getting front end bounce. Could it have to do with anti-dive unit?
    It's unlikely to be an anti dive issue.

What do you mean when you say the front end is "jumping"? Is it a vibration felt through the bars, or is there just a lack of suspension compliance over bumps in the road? What did you do when you "rebuilt" the forks? Did you replace the bushings inside the forks? Stock or modified springs?
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-24-2008, 11:46 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by uscwks View Post
      Possible, but doubtfull. The anti-dive, if i understand it correctly, is linked to the brake system, and wouldnt have any real effect unless, at least in my understanding, you were experiencing this action only under braking. I would suspect that the fork SPRINGS are toasty. Progressive Suspension springs are widely touted as being tremendous upgrades for these old girls..

Comment

For sure it would be good to have a better description of what the wheel is doing.

Given the list of work you have already performed and assuming the wheel and tire you now have on the bike are good, I would take a peek at ...............
        wheel bearings, steering head bearings and check the forks again. You said you rebuilt your forks with proper amount of oil....................what about the inner bushings? They do wear and will cause handling issues.

1984 Suzuki GS750E
        1981 Ducati Pantah 500

Comment

have you looked at the front wheel for any dents or bends? with a dented front wheel it may balance fine,but when you take into account road force you will end up with an imbalance of forces fed into the forks. Put the bike on the center stand and elevate the front wheel off the ground (weight the back/ have a friend sit on the passenger seat...) then spin the front wheel and look for dips hops or other deviation from straight and true.

Comment

Bouncing is usually tire related. Did the new tire bead to the rim?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X