help fellow GSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help fellow GSers

Unable to locate a fuel tank that will fit my 78 gs1000......tried many salvage yards ( a rare tank I guess)..Went to a professional fabricator said he would not even attempt to patch my tank he said any welding or such would just make more holes..kreem is ify in this wet area would take multiple applications..anyone have a tank that would fit....please and thankyou..

Re: help fellow GSers

Didnt the 78 GS 1000 use the same tank as the 77-79 750E?

Earl

Originally posted by ken
    Unable to locate a fuel tank that will fit my 78 gs1000......tried many salvage yards ( a rare tank I guess)..Went to a professional fabricator said he would not even attempt to patch my tank he said any welding or such would just make more holes..kreem is ify in this wet area would take multiple applications..anyone have a tank that would fit....please and thankyou..
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: help fellow GSers

Originally posted by earlfor
      Didnt the 78 GS 1000 use the same tank as the 77-79 750E?

Earl

Originally posted by ken
      I don't know Earl I can't find any info are what wiil swap :?

Comment

Tanks can be a pain in the backside to replace.

I have been looking for a year for a higher capacity swap for my 79 550L and haven't found a single hit.

Have you checked ebay?

Comment

i saw a 78 1000 tank on ebay a few days ago, go look!

Comment

The "78" GS 1000's have a one of a kind tank. The "79" & "80" GS 1000 chain drive models tanks will fit, (except "L" models) but they look slightly different. Other tanks may fit, but there is only one shape & style for the "78" GS 1000.

Comment

It's a 79 tank.

If you look on E-bay you'll find a red 79 tank. It's up to $45.00 and it has 3 days left. It looks a little on the drab side, but it doesn't have any big dents. If you are thinking of trying creem you could always get it to set up with one aplication. Just use a "cold"!!!!! air blower/ hair dryer to vent it out. I had 3/4 of the bottle in mine and it set up great. I don't know what creem is going to do for your dent though.

Comment

I agree w/earl I believe that the 750 tanks will fit also

Comment

Nope, fraid not.

750 and 1000 tanks are different sizes (1000 tank is longer).

Comment

The red one on Ebay is a 1000L tank.

Comment

Are the 850G and the 1000G the same tank? I've got an extra on just sitting here, it's a nice dent free one which has a little rust in it and a cheap paint job on it. I don't know if they will interchangr or not.

Comment

tank

Originally posted by arveejay
                        Are the 850G and the 1000G the same tank? I've got an extra on just sitting here, it's a nice dent free one which has a little rust in it and a cheap paint job on it. I don't know if they will interchangr or not.
                        Bob, I don't know which tanks will interchange can't find any info or maybe a way to messure it.........I do appreciate everyone tying to get me up and riding ..........Ken

Comment

Working...
                        X