Speedometer backlight out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer backlight out

The light in my speedometer gauge is out. When riding at night I can only see it when passing under a streetlight. I would like to replace the bulb, since I am guessing that is all that is wrong being that all my other lights and gauges work just fine.

I looked here: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...ide_gauges.htm

and that seems like a good starting point. However, where is the bulb located? If I have to pull the needle off I to get to it I don't know if it will be worth it. Also, does anyone know what kind of bulb do I need? Thanks in advance.

~Joe

I'm not familiar with your model but on mine, it just plugs into the back. There's a rubber fitting that can be pulled off and then the bulb can be removed. I had to change one of mine a couple of years ago and it was really easy. The bulb is probably a 12V 3.4 watt bulb. When I changed mine, I got a bulb that was slightly higher wattage so it would be brighter and it worked great. Also, you can get them at an auto parts store and they're cheap.

EDIT: I just checked mine and I replaced the 3.4 watt with a 12V 4 watt and they come in a 2-pack so you'll have a spare. You'll likely have to take off a couple of things to get to it but you don't have to mess with the speedo, itself. Just find the fires and you'll do just fine.
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sounds very convenient! Thank you very much!

Comment

Remove the mounting bolts (#19) and the odometer reset knob (#2) and slide the gauges out of the housing (#5). You will see the bulbs that plug into the back. There is a rubber base that just pulls out, then the bulb goes into the front side of it.

I don't remember if it's a bayonet-base bulb (like #8) or a wedge-base (like #10). If it's bayonet, it might be a #53. If it's a wedge, a #194.

Last edited by Steve; 08-25-2008, 02:02 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

...and done! It was simple and easy. I was afraid the auto parts store would not have the right bulb but they had it. It was the smallest one they carried. Thank you gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
          X