black spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black spark plug

The second cylinder in from the left on my gs 1100 is fouling spark plugs like crazy. the coil seems to be ok, the plug wire shocked my pretty good when I was messing around with it. if i put a new plug in it is ok for roughly 38 seconds before fouling out again. When taken out the plug smells of gasoline badly. does anyone know a good starting point for figuring this out? thanks.
    nathan

sounds like your fuel petcock is bad, You7 are drawing fuel throught the vacuum hose from #2 carb.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
      sounds like your fuel petcock is bad, You7 are drawing fuel throught the vacuum hose from #2 carb.
      yup, this would be a good starting point (and probably the end point too)
      GS850GT

Comment

cool

that had crossed my mind, any recommendations as to where to get one?? thanks !!
        nathan

Comment

www.z1enterprises.com aftermarket

www.bikebandit.com OEM
          GS850GT

Comment

Since it only takes 38 seconds to totally foul the plug, I'd try an experiment before I replaced the petcock. Rig up a temporary gas tank and plug the vacuum port on the carb. Run it for a minute and see what the plug looks like. If it's fouled, your problem is with the carb. If not, get a new petcock.

If you want to do it even easier, plug the vacuum port on the carb and suck on the end of the vacuum tube coming from the petcock. Slight suction will allow gas to flow into the carbs and you can perform the same test. If the plug still fouls, you don't have a faulty petcock and the fault lies with the carb. If the plug looks good, you need a new petcock. (If that happens, you're going to end up with gas in your mouth....try not to swallow it; if you do, you'll taste it every time you burp for 2 days. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Simple and straight forward and it may save you buying a part you don't need.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Just plug the vacuum port , & run the bike on prime

Comment

1980???

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Just plug the vacuum port , & run the bike on prime
                I suspect he may not have a 'prime'.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                  Please explain why it sounds like a bad petcock. Is it not allowing enough flow of fuel and starving the cylinder or allowing the flow of too much fuel and flooding the cylinder? Or, is it some other reason.
                  Thanks!
                  GS750GUY.

Comment

ok

yeah the petcock has prime on it. I will try the plugging the vent hose thing as soon as I can, though I suppose its time for a new petcock anyway since its like 26 years old. thanks!
                    nathan

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                      Please explain why it sounds like a bad petcock. Is it not allowing enough flow of fuel and starving the cylinder or allowing the flow of too much fuel and flooding the cylinder? Or, is it some other reason.
                      Thanks!
                      GS750GUY.
                      There is a vacuum line that goes from the outlet on carb #2 that leads up to the petcock. When the engine is running (and creating vacuum), the vacuum pulls on a diaphragm in the petcock to turn on the fuel flow. That diaphragm will eventually develop a leak, which allows raw fuel to travel down the vacuum line and go straight to the #2 cylinder. Since air has already gone through the carb and gotten the proper amount of fuel mixed in, the extra that comes in via the vacuum line makes the mix for that cylinder only, far too rich.

There are petcock rebuild kits available, but the general concensus on this board is that the kits don't work. You might get a kit for $20-25 and will probably still have a leak due to faulty parts. Better to get a complete petcock for about $60 from your favorite supplier.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                        Thanks!
                        GS750GUY.
                        some other reason...

it's letting the fuel where it shouldnt - through the vacuum line
                        this has to to do with the gaskets inside the petcock and a general wear of parts
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by nathan12 View Post
                          yeah the petcock has prime on it. I will try the plugging the vent hose thing as soon as I can, though I suppose its time for a new petcock anyway since its like 26 years old. thanks!
                          nathan
                          Don't make us do the math!! List the year and model of your bike; it will make responses sooooooooo much more appropriate in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X