GS550ES Popping on Decel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ES Popping on Decel

Here is a picture of my Vintage Vance and Hines 4 into 1 pipe. I get alot of popping when decelerating from 10,000 rpm to about 7,000 rpm. Could it be the shortness of the cannister? Does anyone else have this pipe on their GS550ES and experience this popping sound? Thanks

Varoooooom!

I'm too old to rev my engines that high but I'd guess it's more likely to be a matter of your carb jets; maybe you're running lean, which would do that, although I'd think you'd notice throughout the entire range.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Well I am 65 :-) I think that I am running about right. I had to go to 107's to get to redline and avoid nosing over which is what happened with 102.5. Thanks

Comment

PoPPinG here too

I have the same short V&H canister on my 1100 and get popping on decel throughout the range above 3K, just rebuilt carbs and running right.

Comment

Thanks Mark, I think it is just a characteristic of the pipe design. It can't be running lean as I upped the jet sizes in steps. At 102.5 the bike would nose over at about 7000 rpm, just not enough. With 107.5's in it it runs quickly to redline, shows good power ,excellent throttle response, and idle. I think I am concerned about nothing. The old 4 into 2 exhaust with H pipe was at least 15 lbs heavier that the V&H. I love this ole pipe.

:-)

Comment

Working...
          X