What is my axle size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is my axle size?

Hey guys! I did search but came up empty handed. I'm looking to bolt on a side mount license plate holder. What size axle do I have on a 1979 GS550L? Also, if you have any leads in a seller let me know.

25mm?

I'm pretty sure it's 25mm but I didn't understand the other things you mentioned.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

The side mount license plate holders I'm finding for sale are 3/4", 7/8" or 1". I just need to know which one I should go with. Also looking for a seller that anyone on here would recommend.

Comment

If the axle is indeed 25mm....that's 0.984"
        Inches and these GS's don't go well together though.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          I'm pretty sure it's 25mm ...
          I am under the impression that it's less than that, as I use a wrench that is about 25mm to turn the nut. I would think that the axle itself might be in the 19mm range, but I am not close enough to one of my bikes to measure it. If it is a 19mm axle, that is real close to 3/4".

ShoeDr, I have no idea where you live or will be riding your bike, but be aware that the officers in some areas are enforcing every little thing they can find, if they happen to stop you for anything. Most laws call for the license plate to be mounted horizontally. They may not stop you for just that, if they stop you for anything else, they will be happy to add that to the list of infractions.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The rear axle diameter is 17mm on most GS models, but I don't have a GS550 handy to check. The axle nut usually takes a 24mm wrench.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Oooooooops!

Yeah, Steve, I think I made a mistake and it's really 17mm. As far as the license plate mounting rules, that would be legal in California, as far as I know; but if there's money to be made in changing that, I'm sure they'll do it.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

OK, I'll go with the 17mm axle, I was just trying to remember what size wrench I have used and how much smaller the axle would be than the wrench.

I brought up the plate orientation bit because I saw something in a 'tuner' magazine that somebody got a ticket for having a non-horizontal plate. Seems one of the custom touches they do to small trucks is to set the plate at an angle in the tail gate. It gets expensive when you do that, then have to undo it to satisfy the law (that you ignored in the first place).
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X