Tire Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Profile

On my GS700 I currently have a 130/90V17 That is one size over stock (120/90 17) Can I put a 130/80 17 on, or will that pinch the sidewalls too much? Thanks!

Just from my experience you can usually cheat one size up but not two. It depends how wide your wheel is also. I think a 130 recommends a 3inch wide wheel.

Comment

Right, but I don't want to increase the width, I just would like to go to an 80 profile from a 90. Just for tire selection purposes. Is this considered going another size up?

Comment

Luke, you should not notice any real difference since both are the same width-130, but you will lose a little ground clearance with the lower profile 130/80. With the stock 2.5in. rim a 130 is about as wide as you can go. I have used both 140/70 and 140/80 rears, with a wider than stock rim, and did notice a slight difference regarding ground clearance with the lower profile tire. Under normal riding, I don't think it will be a factor. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Sorry I`m a dummy didn`t read what I thought I did. Yeah just ride height will be changed. I would think a 2.5 inch wheel would be pinching a 130 to some degree. May be better with a taller tire.

Comment

Working...
          X